Quantcast

Kitfox with Rotax 582 or 670....???

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Is anyone on the Forum using a Rotax 582 or 670 in their Kitfox ?
I'm interested in the cooling system.....specifically the radiator size and placement.

Kevin

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Definitely the AvidFoxFlyers... find Joey Meyers, "C5Engineer" , although he's probably out of the Air Force by now and may have changed his screen name to something else. Joey is the leading expert on any Rotax powered Avid.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I haven't joined the AvidFoxFlyers forum but I've been doing a bit of reading through the threads on there......
It seems that there are 2 groups when it comes to the cooling system.....one uses the 2 small radiators in the front of the cowling and the other uses a single radiator below the cowling......both groups think that the other group is wrong...... lol

Kevin

wingover1

My personal experience stay away from a 582 they work well in trikes but are under powered in LSA AC. That is why Kitplanes for Africa. Discontinued them and if I am not mistaken Kitfox also.VW Golf Radiators work fine. The issue with in front or underneath will be determined by space and or C of G proper airflow channeling is the key for underneath mounting

Jim Chuk

Kitfoxes have used an under the belly radiator and it has worked fine on the 582 since it came out. It also cools the 912 just fine. It probably does create more drag then the cheek radiators or the other radiators Avid used, but does cool better. Those radiators are available from Kitfox, and Murle Williams Aviation also. The 582 is a fine engine if you run it properly. But it makes 64 HP so it just wont have enough power on a 1400 or 1500 lb gross weight aircraft like the later model Kitfoxes. In an aircraft that weighs half that much it has lots of power. I've owned and flown 4 Avids and 2 Kitfoxes with 532, 582, Jabiru, and 912 engines. If you have a 550 - 600 or less empty weight aircraft, the 582 does very well. JImChuk

rollerball

The 582 is a fine engine if you run it properly. But it makes 64 HP so it just wont have enough power on a 1400 or 1500 lb gross weight aircraft like the later model Kitfoxes. In an aircraft that weighs half that much it has lots of power. I've owned and flown 4 Avids and 2 Kitfoxes with 532, 582, Jabiru, and 912 engines. If you have a 550 - 600 or less empty weight aircraft, the 582 does very well. JImChuk
Agreed. It's horses for courses, as usual. The electronic ignition 447, 503 and 582 were an excellent range of engines. I recently sold an AX3 Weedhopper ultralight with a 503 that never missed a beat. That engine flew me across the English Channel and down the length of France and I've still got a Xair ultralight with a 582 that I flew from the UK over the Channel to the Dordogne in SW France last July. Both 450kg (990lb) max AUW aircraft in France although I never flew the Weedhopper with the 503 above 390kg (858lb) as that was the limit set in the UK with that engine.

Last edited: