kitfox vs highlander

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rudder

I did a search and nothing came down. I thought I read a post where some of the biggest difference where. One uses flaperons vs ailerons/flaps but I can't recall much difference after that. For a first time builder the kitfox has good reviews on the manuals. any others? thanks

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
For my two cents, both designs are based on the original Avid Flyer by Dean Wilson. Certainly the Kitfox has been around longer, though the current company is relatively recent. Other than the flaperons vs. flaps/ailerons, I would say that there is not a big difference. Kitfox Aircraft LLC is a small company run by a former SkyStar employee to continue the Kitfox line. Just Aircraft is, I think, a more dynamic, up-and-coming company developing new products like the Super STOL. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Personally, I have been considering a project that would fit under European microlight regulations (gross weight 1041 lbs with a ballistic parachute installed) and have been looking hard at a bare-bones Just Aircraft Escapade as a possibility.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'll vote on the Highlander. Dan

C5Engineer

What's your mission? I think the Highlander has more potential if your wanting more of a bushplane. Their new SuperSTOL is a bit overkill for most people I think and the price is really getting up there. The Kitfox I think would make a little nicer of a cruiser type plane if your looking to go a little faster and still have good short field capability. They are very similar in most aspects. The Highlander's baggage compartment is pretty insane. You can sleep in it. Give Steve Henry (deadstick takeoff guy) at Wild West Aircraft a call. He's the West Coast dealer and has more time and experience than anybody except the factory in a Highlander. He's a pretty honest guy and won't BS you just to sell a kit.

Wild West Aircraft - Home
[h=2]{208} 880-7887[/h]

TFF

The Kitfox is a smaller aircraft. Both were flying of the UL strip at OSH. The Kitfox did a pretty good job, maybe taking about double the ground rolls compared to the Highlander. Still very short.

Turd Ferguson

I'll vote on the Highlander. Dan
x2.

Nothing against Kitfox and I'd like to have one but the 10 whole minutes I have flown one, I found roll response to be very poor, especially when doing a roll reversal. Now if I had one, I'd put a more conventional wing on it, like the Highlander and then I'm sure it would be fine.

mickey

Steve Henry's wife Cathy actually advised me against a Super STOL unless it's specifically for competition. I think it says a lot that The Man Himself flies a Highlander.

I'm mostly curious as to the enormous price difference between a Highlander kit vs. a Kitfox STi. The KF is an extra $10K. I'm guessing the Highlander doesn't include covering?

-mickey

flyingforx

I can honestly say, owning a Kitfox IV is a great plane. Super light, cruises 90-95 mph, gets off the ground in 200 feet solo. When it came to getting parts and support, the crew in Homedale were marginal at best, shipping items to wrong address (in AK), twice in a row while blaming me after I bought a new Rotax through them, it seems like they were more focused on the newer kit guys. With that said, the new Kitfox models have grown in empty and gross weights, price, but not much in size. I chatted with the guys at Just Aircraft were nice to talk to, although I haven't bought anything from them. Either way you go, build it light and you won't be disappointed. I've heard it said to me many times, it's true. Don't pay too much for a lb of savings either. Enjoy your shopping, I think both are great, modern planes.

WWhunter

Wow, old thread getting revived!!

Owned a Kitfox IV and it is a nice little plane, not the most spacious of airplanes but great little planes. If it wasn't for all the hype from the STOL type videos, I doubt that Kitfoxes would be as popular as they are. They have been improved over the years though. There are several choices of aircraft out there that all compare closely, the major factor in these STOL type basically comes down to pilot experience. Lots of pilots think they can buy a STOL type and do what these guys do. It takes many hours of flying to get to the level of precision these pilots attain. I'm no professional by any means, but have landed my old 172 with Super Cub guys and they were totally shocked at what the old plane could do. I've owned it for 34 years so have a little time in it.

Visited the Just factory in SC and they are great, down to earth guys. Also make a good plane. I will agree with Steve Henry's wife, unless you are going all out competition, the Highlander is the better choice. A guy near me built a Super STOIL, while it was an awesome performer, I think my RANS S-7 is just a s good and faster in cruise. That's the downside to the Super Stol, They hit a wall in cruise.

While I prefer a tandem type over side by side, I'll take what ever one fits the mission on that day. Another thing....little off topic, but I've been leaning more towards metal aircraft lately over fabric. After leaving a fabric covered floatplane out for a couple of years, and seeing the toll it takes, I will have an aluminum plane for my next flyer. The sun and weather can be hard on fabric. Granted I live in a fairly extreme climate where it gets hot in the summer and extremely cold in the winter (-40 this morning). The metal planes have always faired much better unless one has a hangar.

Explorer

Yes, a revived thread. Interesting.

Does anyone have any comments on the Kitfox 7 STI Series ?

Mark Z

I sold a Highlander to a gentleman that also has a superstol. The Highlander is the tool of choice for a traveling. I’ve not flown the KF but the Highlander is a fun scooter. The light wing loading isn’t something desirable in bumpy WX.F2412914-AD04-40F4-8D56-AF07E62D3C84.jpeg

Mike von S.

You might want to take a look at the Bearhawk Patrol before making a final decision.
Or the Bearhawk LSA, which is tandem. Remarkable slow speed performance without flaps, and surprisingly good cruise on that slick, flush riveted wing. Or so I've read. I am only just starting my build now.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Hard to beat the Bearhawk LSA, Heck , it hard to beat any of Bob Barrows airplanes. One day Bob and I was going to have a contest of who could fly the slowest, me in my SSSC and Bob in the LSA. I had just changed the oil pump in my engine and had a small problem , so it didn't happen. But after watching it, I believed he would have won. The SSSC stalls at about 30-32 knots and has no flaps. Believe the LSA is a couple knots slower.

Attachments

WWhunter

I realize this is a Kitfox vs. Highlander thread and as mentioned earlier I owned a Kitfox at one time and also visited the Just factory. Having flown in many different types, my current ride is a Murphy Rebel. I absolutely love the airplane. Roomier than most anything else out there, extremely stable, at least compared to the Kitfox/Higlander types. Granted this is due to higher wing loading, but at least I don't get tossed all over the sky in turbulence like I do in the others. Yes, I still own and fly a RANS S-7, but I have limited my flying in it to nicer days. I'm probably getting less tolerant of getting jostled around as I get older.

Just putting this out there to let people know there are other options available that might better fit your mission.

Mark Z

There’s nothing worse than a bad ride. Everything in aviation is a trade off. There’s an airplane for every situation, if you have all those bases covered you spend your life doing annual or condition inspections. This isn’t fun either.

Explorer

Straight forward review from two young Aviators who do quite a bit of flying.

I've tried to source how many kits Highlander has sold and how many are flying. It would be nice if they updated their Wiki and Website. Does anyone have any idea?

Kitfox has been around awhile circa 1984. 7000 Kits sold Worldwide 70% flying - 4900.

Interesting.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I've tried to source how many kits Highlander has sold and how many are flying. It would be nice if they updated their Wiki and Website. Does anyone have any idea?
Ron W is pretty good with FAA records… perhaps he can ferret out an estimate for you.