• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Kitfox Super Sport questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yet^Another^Dreamer

Hi all... I've been a member of the forum for a bit now, but am still very much a beginner, as I'm still a non-pilot, and am still unsure as to what I want to build, although I have a pretty good idea of my 'mission statement', of a good bush plane on amphib floats, 2-seater side-by-side, gross weight between 1200 and 1700, with fuel economy being an important factor. Oh, and comparatively inexpensive, too...

With that having been said, it looks like the Kitfox SS is a strong contender, with a gross of 1550, and a range over 600 miles on about 25 gallons...
And now the questions:
a) Would it be difficult to put this plane on amphib floats?
b) If you were to build this plane, would you put in a Rotax, Subaru, VW, Jabiru, whatever other engine? I'm partial to the auto conversions, because of the reduced costs, but would my fuel efficiency suffer as a result? what about performance?
c) given the same criteria, would you choose the Kitfox SS, or is there another plane you feel would better fit the mission statement? Why?

Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays! :D

Back