Kitfox Super Sport questions

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Yet^Another^Dreamer, Dec 26, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 26, 2006 #1

Yet^Another^Dreamer

Yet^Another^Dreamer

Yet^Another^Dreamer

Hi all... I've been a member of the forum for a bit now, but am still very much a beginner, as I'm still a non-pilot, and am still unsure as to what I want to build, although I have a pretty good idea of my 'mission statement', of a good bush plane on amphib floats, 2-seater side-by-side, gross weight between 1200 and 1700, with fuel economy being an important factor. Oh, and comparatively inexpensive, too...

With that having been said, it looks like the Kitfox SS is a strong contender, with a gross of 1550, and a range over 600 miles on about 25 gallons...
    And now the questions:
    a) Would it be difficult to put this plane on amphib floats?
    b) If you were to build this plane, would you put in a Rotax, Subaru, VW, Jabiru, whatever other engine? I'm partial to the auto conversions, because of the reduced costs, but would my fuel efficiency suffer as a result? what about performance?
    c) given the same criteria, would you choose the Kitfox SS, or is there another plane you feel would better fit the mission statement? Why?

Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays! :D

2. Dec 27, 2006 #2

Overfly

Overfly

Overfly

First off, welcome aboard. In that I am building a Murphy Rebel my response may seem a bit prejudiced, but the specifications you list are exactly what the Murphy Rebel was designed for. Some advantages to the Murphy line of aircraft are:
    - Proven, well engineered aircraft.
    - Outstanding support, once you are into your project.
    - Factory designed and supplied options such as floats, engine mounts/cowlings and even engines. (That Rotec 2800 radial is pretty cool)
    - A stable long lived company that will be there in the future. www.murphyair.com

I would caution you about straying too far from engines designed for any specific airplane. Often what starts out to be a simple cost saver, can end up being a nightmare and a larger expense than the design engine would have cost. Take advantage of the aircraft kit manufacturers testing and design expertise. Once you stray from the original design, you become the designer and tester. This will increase your build time and probably build complexity. More than once I have seen an auto-conversion abandoned, even after flight testing, and the original design engine purchased in the end. Not a cost saving approach. I would recommend with your first aircraft to stick to the design as close as possible, even if it seems you are spending a bit more for the design engine. There are a lot of hidden costs out there and more often than not, going with the design engine will be your cheapest cost in the end. Once you complete and fly your first homebuilt and you want to stray into the more "experimental" side of experimental aircraft, you will at least have some good experience under your belt.

I'm not trying to quash anyones "experimental spirit", but all too often I've seen new builders run out of money, time and motivation, then sell their project and quit experimental avaition all together. I just don't want to see that happen to you or anyone with the desire to get into homebuilding.
    David R. Overly

3. Jan 16, 2007 #3

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

I'm looking at the Kitfox too, though not on floats. Many Kitfox's have been put on floats before, so I doubt that would be a problem. I believe SkyKits makes a float kit for the Kitfox.

I personally prefer the Jabiru, mainly because I like six cylinders and lower RPMs. However, I will probably be limited to the Rotax due to LSA limitations.

The Murphys are excellent aircraft.

You might also want to consider a BushCaddy, Glasair or RANS.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  4. Jan 17, 2007 #4

CAB

CAB

CAB

Not sure about amphib floats on a plane as light as a Kitfox- are straight floats OK ?

Ilike the looks of the Just Highlander in this class.

5. Jan 17, 2007 #5

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

6. Jan 20, 2007 #6

Yet^Another^Dreamer

Yet^Another^Dreamer

Yet^Another^Dreamer