Kinney Hot Rod heli?

Discussion in 'Rotorcraft' started by 4trade, Nov 28, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 28, 2010 #1

4trade

4trade

4trade

Hello everybody! Does anybody know how good is that heli? I cant find almost any info about that one!!

2. Dec 3, 2010 #2

4trade

4trade

4trade

Is that helicopter so rare than nobody else but Bob Kinney fly or build one?

3. Jan 21, 2011 #3

4trade

4trade

4trade

Anyone know even something about that mystery heli??

4. Jan 22, 2011 #4

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
  5. Jan 23, 2011 #5

4trade

4trade

4trade

That´s only info what i find too. Odd that looks like nobody build that helicopter, even that one looks good on a paper. Good 4 stroke engine and cheap to fabricate overall.

6. Jan 25, 2011 #6

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    Why not try to order the $30 video and check out the company and helo. Not too much to lose that way.

7. Jan 17, 2012 #7

Flyboy49

Flyboy49

Flyboy49

Mr kinney used a Subaru engine. I saw it fly at Homer Bell's fly-in in the summer of 2002? He flew it several times during the week-end. He gives all the places to buy the parts and other info in the plans that he was selling.

8. Jan 18, 2012 #8

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

No others?

Attached Files:

9. Jan 20, 2012 #9

Flyboy49

Flyboy49

Flyboy49

Hillberg....Has either one of those choppers flown? Flown as much as the HRH? Just wondering...they look Great, especially the low profile black one.

10. Jan 20, 2012 #10

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

The RotorMouse has 150 odd hours & two crashes during tests & a brain fart , The Skyshark has yet to fly (The drive componets hav 1000s hours in other designs. See more on YouTube Rotormouse.mov I also designed the Jet exec concept with Dave domansky

Attached Files:

11. Jun 20, 2012 #11

Skyaker

Skyaker

Skyaker

4Trade,
    I have a set of plans for the HRH. Would like to build it someday. I was curious why there were not many out there. I believe I know in part why now. I have a rapid prototype casting shop as well as a machine shop with years of experience. I also have a mechanical engineering degree, both of those will be put to the test to build this heli. First off, the plans require a lot of intuition as to where everything goes. The prints tell you how to make the parts and thats it, no assembly instructions. Then after 3-4 re-reads through the plans I noticed there was no swashplate or tailrotor assembly drawings, in addition the rotorhead drawigns don't have the material on them, I can infer the materials but would like to be sure. I even thought there were missing prints but the page numbers are sequential. I emailed Mr Kinney a couple of days ago, so I hope to get some clarification about it. I called the machine shop listed in the book towhere you can buy a complete swashplate and main rotor hub to see about getting prints. I was told there were no prints for these and he only had 1 set of the original castings which weren't for sale. So it looks like I will have to design my own swashplate and tail rotor, this is no big deal as I can design one, print it on my 3d printer in wax then cast it in aluminum. I will set up a test stand to run any design to failure to eliminate the weak points and then do it again. The rotor blade manufacturer is out of business (Vortech may be able to help here), and the overrun clutch is obsolete (currently seeking a replacement). So I will have my work cut out for me. Other than these issues its a great design. I am currently about 75% through building my Bearhawk so it may be a while before I can get to it, but I hope to keep good notes on the build to hopefully help out others build this heli.
    -Brian

12. Jun 20, 2012 #12

4trade

4trade

4trade

Brian, thank´s for all this info. I have been wondering why this is so rare one. Weird thing to leave plans in a "half way", because it is proven and awarded design.

13. Jun 21, 2012 #13

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

Try the rotorway main, tail rotor & control systems . that's what it looks like from the pictures.