Keeping My Cool ...

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Daleandee, May 25, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 25, 2019 #1

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Went to a local fly-in today and had a really enjoyable time. But leaving in the middle of the day for the trip home was quite hot. It was 97º when I landed back at home. I didn't have far to go so the excessive heat was tolerable for the ride. I know on a longer trek I could have climbed up higher.

But this situation makes me wonder about the tricks others may use to keep cool.

My aircraft has a nice set of vents that give a generous blast once airborne but air in the 90's is still hot regardless of how much of it you put in the airplane. With my low wing bubble canopy it's kinda like an "E-Z bake oven" once inside with the canopy down.

I wonder if something along this line might be helpful ...

http://www.mycoolingstore.com/cooling-vests.html

Just looking for ideas now that the big heater has been turned on in the south!

Dale
    N319WF

proppastie likes this.
  2. May 26, 2019 #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

How about building an ice chamber where you find header tanks in some planes. Blow air across the ice and into the cockpit (metering the airflow for temp control). A simple hatch on the top makes for an easy job of loading ice.

When the ice has melted and you need more cooling, slowly drain the water into a secondary system with a mesh for evaporative cooling.

This gives you the advantage of soaking up latent heat through two phase changes. The structure need not weigh much; ice will be the only noticeable weight gain.

3. May 26, 2019 #3

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

All I can think of is the time my dad tried to rig that up in his Camaro--he never used the air conditioner so it eventually didn't work. Then we moved to Atlanta and he needed to show up not sweaty for work.

Anyway, he didn't bother to test it on the road first before driving to work one morning. It dumped ice and water all in his lap :D

4. May 26, 2019 #4

TFF

TFF

TFF

Just dont use dry ice. In the early years of Fed Ex, some steaks packed in dry ice put the crew asleep at the threshold waiting for takeoff. Box got crushed and opened up; back in the Falcon days. All that stuff is now where the pilots can inspect it whenever they want loaded up close to the front.

5. May 26, 2019 #5

don january

don january

don january

Dale. In the Pawnee we would soak a med towel with a light ringing out and lay it on the back of our necks. Kept a water bottle in cockpit to splash towel every now and then but most the time just dipped the towel in load truck water between flights. Was not the best in the world but did help on them longer fields and getting back and forth.

6. May 26, 2019 #6

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Do you have any shade under that big canopy?

7. May 26, 2019 #7

CharlieN

CharlieN

CharlieN

I build and work with road race cars. We are bigger weight weenies than most any aircraft owner or pilot I have been around.
    Rather than playing with wet T shirts, yes there is a place for them, get something that actually works, all day long.
    https://www.coolshirt.com/
    I have no connection with or financial interest with the company, just have a decade of experience with their product, it works.

8. May 26, 2019 #8

RonL

RonL

RonL

Something like this can work

Use ram air of the planes speed and vent the hot air discharge of the cooler to the outside slipstream (A properly shaped duct should produce a vacuum and not have much effect on induced drag)

9. May 27, 2019 #9

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Crosswind-Wilson.png
    I appreciate the great replies and have learned that there are more options than first considered. I knew better than to consider using dry ice but the reminder is timely as others may not be aware of the dangers.

I do have some stick on shades but part of what exacerbated the heat was the airplane sitting in the hot sun for a couple of hours before my return flight. It was so hot inside the seat belt buckles were hard to handle and the metal part of the stick touching my bare leg (I had shorts on) made me think I had left a bit of seared meat on it. :eek:

I would have helped to put the canopy cover on the airplane but then that would have hindered those that desired to take a look at it. When I arrived early they parked me under a wonderful shaded area ...

Dale
    N319WF

10. May 27, 2019 #10

simca1959

simca1959

simca1959

Look a picture of a Messerschimtt BF-108. They had a folding shade for the canopy. It slides on rods side to side. Looks like a folding house blind.

11. May 27, 2019 #11

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

It seems the airplanes I have the most time in also tend to have unusually large cockpit windows and the best methods I’ve found to cut down on ground heating are to either keep the sun out or let the hot air out. I see your point about not wanting to use the canopy cover at a fly in, and I’ve used all the maps I could find spread across the cockpit windows in the past, but what about a light-coloured seat cover for when you park in the sun all day? Off the top of my head I would think a white, beige or light grey towel would go a long way, and you could get it embroidered to match your plane. It should keep the seat cooler as well as the harness buckles. Plus you’d always have a towel so Douglas Adams would be pleased.

I forget how the canopy opens on a Sonex but a short prop rod to hold it 3-4” open can make a big difference too. That sort of thing is also helpful on a hot day with long taxis and lineups to depart, just don’t forget to remove it before taking off.

12. May 28, 2019 #12

rick9mjn

rick9mjn

rick9mjn

this is the shade that is used on the RV airplanes......link =
    https://kogersunshades.com/
    and i"" think"" that do make shades for sonex airplane.
    good day , stay cool.../rick

13. May 28, 2019 #13

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I’ve seen similar shades in the Piper/CZAW Sport Cruisers too, except that they pull from the back forward over the pilot and pax.

14. May 29, 2019 #14

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

That "vortex tube" gimmick in the video seems like pretty big bucket of prop wash to me.

bmcj likes this.
  15. May 29, 2019 #15

RonL

RonL

RonL

That leads me to think you have never used one?

16. May 29, 2019 #16

bifft

bifft

bifft

They do work, just are known for being very noisy and very inefficient. A build video:

17. Jun 15, 2019 #17

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

Run an automotive conversion and keep the AC compressor. Other than the compressor, the AC system is just aluminum tubes. Nothing to it. Use slipstream air and you don't even need a fan.

robertl likes this.
  18. Jun 16, 2019 #18

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Theory is sound... See carb icing incidents for proof.

How you'd size one (or more) to provide adequate flow and cooling, that math makes my head hurt this early in the morning.

19. Jun 16, 2019 #19

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

To scale that up to cool a significant amount of air would be the real issue.

20. Jun 17, 2019 #20

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

My money is on about 90% of the 'vortex tube' cooling coming from the expansion of the compressed air. Once the air in the tank has shed the heat from compression (over time), its temp will drop a bunch just from releasing its pressure. No different from a conventional air conditioner; just phenomenally less efficient. One of the 'Popular-???' (Mechanics, Science, Etc) magazines had an article back in the 1960s about a guy who invented an automotive a/c unit with 'no refrigerant'. Nothing but a small air compressor, a heat exchanger under the hood, followed by a metering orifice to feed the air to the car's cabin. No doubt it 'worked', but incredibly noisy and inefficient.

The 'ice chamber' idea does work, if you can afford the weight of the ice. There are even commercial products being sold to pilots that are basically an ice chest containing a small water pump with a coil of copper or aluminum tubing, & heat exchanger (radiator), plus a ~4" computer fan to blow air through the heat exchanger. You fill the ice chest with ice, and the pump circulates the ice-chilled water through the heat exchanger while the muffin fan blows air through it. Obviously, you can diy for a lot less money.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ice.....69i57j0l5.7275j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8