Kawasaki T1C440 Engine to ignition coils diagram?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Aircaft Engines' started by dotcommer, Jun 15, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 15, 2019 #1

dotcommer

dotcommer

dotcommer

Hi all,

I recently acquired a Kawasaki 2 Stroke Buggy that the previous owner could not keep it running. He said it was a no spark issue. So I replaced both the ignition coil assemblies (coil/wires) , gapped 'em, and new plugs. Pulled the cord.. and... nothing :(

Ive never done any engine or electrical work like this before and would sure appreciate any help at all.

I followed the same wiring from the engine to the coils that was there, but I am hoping someone here can confirm the wiring, or point me to the exact Engine to ignition coils diagram for this engine (that I dont even know the year or model). I cant seem to find the appropriate diagram because I really don't know what this engine is and as you can see in the pics, the model number is barely there, hardly readable. I dont know if this engine uses a cdi box or not. There's no cdi box there, no electric start, nothing beyond the 9 Pin Molex connector. I want to wire it up right. If it needs a cdi box, please tell me. For all I know the previous owner could have bypassed, or temporarily wired things that just dont hold up.

ENGINE PICS/video:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8i3y9Zsu3BtZS3r7A

I just need to confirm that the 2 coils are connected to the proper wires that come from the engine:

2 Yellows
    1 Red
    1 White
    1 Brown

Am I missing a ground somewhere? Im just hoping to get the minimal wiring correct so I can start it. I'll add a kill switch and lights later, once I can get it started and see that it runs. I ordered 2 inline spark plug testers, but they do not fit over these old school spark plugs "stud" caps. So while I cant confirm spark, I did replace both ignition coil assemblies I thought that would do it. Now Im hoping to confirm the coil wiring to the engine and any required grounds are correct.

Thanks very much,
    Joe

PS - Ive never done any engine or electrical work like this before. I can change oil and add air to my tires. Any answers in layman's terms would be truly appreciated :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. Jun 15, 2019 #2

akwrencher

akwrencher

akwrencher

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Photo link isn't loading for me. Typically the coils do not produce the electricity for the spark directly, the magneto does that. I'm not familiar with that particular engine, but usually with these style the part that makes the juice is behind the flywheel. If it's old enough to have points, they would be there too. Hopefully someone here has a link to a manual.

dotcommer likes this.
  3. Jun 15, 2019 #3

dotcommer

dotcommer

dotcommer

Thanks for your input akwrencher, much appreciated. I'll dig into the magneto, if i have to, after I can confirm the coil wiring is correct. I'll put a few pics in with my original post (if it allows me).

I did find most all the kawasaki manuals here http://www.vintagesnow.com/Kawasaki.html
    But, not sure which engine mine is, and I didnt see any wiring diagrams in the few manuals I skimmed.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  4. Jun 24, 2019 #4

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

Look on the Cylinders there should be a Stamping CODE. You say "gapped 'em" is this a Points Engine or CDI? On 440's there was an A, B, C version, not sure on the 340's. There were both Single and Dual Spark Plug, Fan, Free Air, and Water Cooled Engines.

IF, No Spark, you should be able to disconnect Stator Wires and do a Stator Test. Go to Youtube search Stator Test. If No Spark on either Plug and you do Stator Test and it Fails, then you know it's Internal.

IF You have CDI: If No Spark on either Plug and you do Stator Test and IF it Fails, it's the Internal Coil.
    (2) Spark Plugs
    (2) Spark Plug Boots
    (2) Spark Plug Wires
    (2) External Coils some Engines used Combo Coil/CDI Box
    (2) CDI Boxes
    (1) Stator with usually (2) Coils on it, some have (3) Coils.

IF You have a Points Engine: If No Spark, and you do Stator Test and IF it Fails, it could be Condenser, Points, Internal Coil. Points can usually be Cleaned, but are Cheap, as is Condenser. I would just change them all, then your good for a long time.
    (2) Spark Plugs
    (2) Spark Plug Boots
    (2) Spark Plug Wires
    (2) External Coils
    (1) Stator with usually (2) Coils on it, some have (3) Coils with Dual Points for a Twin.

I don't have a Kawasaki Part to show you. But here is a Rotax Twin Bosch Points setup and a Twin Nippon CDI setup. You have the Big 110w Lighting Coil on the bottom, with Dual Coils on Top. Rotax Bosch Points.
    Rotax Points Wiring.gif Rotax Bosch POINTS Stator.jpg Rotax 377 Nippon CDI kit 1.jpg

Charles_says, mcrae0104 and dotcommer like this.
  5. Jun 24, 2019 #5

dotcommer

dotcommer

dotcommer

Thank you so much Armilite! After lots of research, mine is a "C" model. It has Condensers & Points, which Ive tested and appear to be bad. So I ordered Condensers & Points and will replace those next. Appreciate the diagram! I'll try and match up my

2 Yellows
    1 Red
    1 White
    1 Brown

Now that I opened it up, I can see whats going on.

Thank you bud

Attached Files:

6. Jun 25, 2019 #6

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

=======================

The B & C was the High-Performance versions, A version was used on some Sleds, and also Sold as an Industrial Engine so was used mainly on Ultralights. The only bad thing about Kawasaki's is nobody made a Good Wide Band Ultralight Tuned Pipe for them.

I would get some of that Electrical Cleaner Spray also. Clean all Wire Connectors. There is also a Sealant Spray for the Coils, they use on JetSki Stators. Did the Internal Coils check out OK then?

Kawasaki 440 Sled Motor with Stock Tuned Pipe Dynoed, Max 63.0hp@6750rpm, 61.0hp@6500rpm. My Arctic Cat with a little 275cc Free Air Twin is 20hp@6000rpm with a Can Muffler and Single30mm Carb, the 340 Free Air Twin, 30hp@6000rpm with a Can Muffler and Single 30mm Carb. Never had a 440, but it should be around 40-42hp@6500rpm with a Can Muffler.

All Rotax UL Engines 277UL+ used 36mm Carbs. Going from a 30mm to a 36mm is 20% more Air. This 34mm Mikuni Flat Side (Knock Off) $35 New on eBay a 14% Increase in Air. A Flat Side Carb is as close as you can get to EFI.

KAWASAKI 440 - 63hp at 6750rpms.jpg

Flat Side Carburetor 34MM $30 - 1.jpg

dotcommer likes this.
  7. Jun 25, 2019 #7

n3puppy

n3puppy

n3puppy

Dotcommer-
    Quick Clarification -
    Kawasaki did have 440TA,TB,TC engines - But it does not look like you have have a Type C engine.

The scratched up ID plate in picture shows it as a T1Cxxxx.
    That makes it a Kawasaki engine made for the 1974 Arctic Cat snowmobiles. The C in that designation is for the year - 1974, T1D would be 1975 Etc.

That engine is very similar to the 440TA engine used on the Kawasaki snowmobiles starting in 1977 and John Deere Snowmobiles in 1979
    When used in the Arctic Cats, with a restrictive muffler, they were 35-36ish HP. In the Kawasaki sleds with better exhaust they were closer to 40HP. (See graph)

Just wanted you to know what the engine actually is so if you start looking for parts, you know what to order. Cat T1C parts and Kawasaki 440TA parts are somewhat interchangeable. But Kawasaki 440TC parts are a different animal especially in the gasket areas.

Attached Files:

dotcommer likes this.
  8. Jun 26, 2019 #8

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

Kawasaki 440 with a Muffler is 40hp@6500rpm. The 440A has conventional Piston Port Case, the 440B & 440C had different Type of Piston Ported Cases. The Jet Ski version used the 440A Piston Porting also.

The Rotax 447UL 40hp@6500rpm with a Muffler and the Kawasaki 440 40hp@6500rpm with a Muffler are both 436cc. Some Sled Models used different Size Carbs, Single Carb vs Dual Carb. Some used different Mufflers.

Older Skidoo/Rotax Engines had Standard Engines with Small Carbs, Low CR, and Restrictive Exhaust Mufflers, then the TNT Engines came with Bigger Carbs, a CR bump, a better Ported Cylinder with Bigger Tube less Restrictive Mufflers, then the Blizzard Engines had a Bigger CR Bump and used a Tuned Pipe. Standard 335 20hp@5500rpm, TNT 340 26hp@6500rpm, Blizzard 340 36hp. Same Bore & stroke Engine.

Kawasaki's also had a Non-Provision Case, vs a Provision Case with a Boss with (4) Holes. Could use a Rotax A Drive with Adapter Plate.
    _KAW 440 Specs.jpg KAW 440B CASE.jpg KAW 440A CASE.jpg

Arctic Cat Eltigre 440F A Kawasaki T7A440RS 4.jpg

dotcommer likes this.
  9. Jun 26, 2019 #9

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

The Kawasaki 340 with a Muffler was 35hp@6500rpm.
    KAW 340 Specs.jpg

dotcommer likes this.
  10. Jun 29, 2019 #10

dotcommer

dotcommer

dotcommer

Armilite, n3puppy
    huge thanks guys!

Now that I know what I have.. I am gettin er done! Pics below.
    I ordered points/condensers and will replace. The magnets are good. I already replaced the whole coil assembly, Spark Plugs, and wires. After that, I checked out ebay and found a whole new magneto assembly (used) but working for $38 :D

I grabbed it, and will likely install that one. I'll rebuild my old one with the new points/condensers parts on order and keep it as a backup.

After all this, and removing the flywheel (which took me 2 hours), I found a couple videos where guys were just abandoning the old points/condensers and just replacing the exterior coils with a built in ignition module! This is news to me and looks like the way to go. I hope anyone else with spark/points/condenser issues will check it out.

thanks guys! I'll keep ya posted.

Attached Files: