Kawasaki superbike-derived UAS engine now on scene. Yamaha Apex alternative?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cblink.007

Just saw this on YouTube, fam:

Looks like a pricey alternative to the Apex, but I think it may be safe to assume it is coming our way. I'll be sricking with my Apex YG4i plant; I'll rip the sled apart and pull the engine once I get all settled in up in MD!

But, is anyone here familiar with this particular Kawasaki plant??

Cy V

I hope Kawasaki's quality has improved. I used to have a Kawasaki that I rode around on (over 20 years ago). I was riding one day and one of the foot pedals fell off the bike.

The bike literally fell apart as I was riding it.

billyvray

The good thing about the Yamaha choices is they are snowmobile engines. There is no transmission integral to the unit as there is on a motorcycle. Jet skis would also be a good source. There are several of those making 200 plus horsepower now too.

pictsidhe

I hope Kawasaki's quality has improved. I used to have a Kawasaki that I rode around on (over 20 years ago). I was riding one day and one of the foot pedals fell off the bike.

The bike literally fell apart as I was riding it.
Huh, I never realised that was a brand specific problem. FWIW, the only Kawasaki I ever owned never had a footpeg issue, unlike several others.

cblink.007

The good thing about the Yamaha choices is they are snowmobile engines. There is no transmission integral to the unit as there is on a motorcycle. Jet skis would also be a good source. There are several of those making 200 plus horsepower now too.
Agree 100%. This is exactly what makes the Apex so much more attractive (and lighter)! But the internals are off the R1 plant, which assures plentiful parts!

henryk

it mentioned 140hp;
=BMW 1.6 l ...

=ADEPT motor,300 HP, soon...

=similar concept=

Last edited:

wanttobuild

Just saw this on YouTube, fam:

Looks like a pricey alternative to the Apex, but I think it may be safe to assume it is coming our way. I'll be sricking with my Apex YG4i plant; I'll rip the sled apart and pull the engine once I get all settled in up in MD!

But, is anyone here familiar with this particular Kawasaki plant??
The KoolAid is easy to drink isn't it? Check out the single cylinder sled engines!
Its 2020 man, gotta love it!!!!!

TLAR

Arctic Cat 397cc two stroke single, fuel injected, 65hp max....

You found it!
I wish it was a twin but I think this engine would make an excellent aircraft engine

speedracer

If you want the see (and hear) the H2 engine in action YouTube: Kawasaki H2 vs. state trooper. Oh....., that SOUND.

David L. Downey

always thought that Ron Hoettels' twin Kawasaki KZ100 v8 was a natural for an airplane...then it went away!