• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Karl Nickel's Falter 1 tailless aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmoser

I've always been intrigued by the late Dr. Karl Nickel's "Falter 1" ultralight aircraft design.
Only two pages of his book, "Tailless Aircraft in Theory and Practice", co-authored by Micheal Wohlfahrt, had mentioned it... scanned pages attached here:
p160.jpgp161.jpg

Karl, a protege of the Horten brothers, had apparently never quite bought into their bell-shaped lift distribution (BSLD) concept, as his book seems focused on the attainment of elliptical lift distribution as being the ultimate desired goal.

The Falter 1, a cooperative effort with a fellow named Ali Schmidt, reportedly attained full 3-axis control by manipulating induced drag, and without the use of any vertical control surfaces, or the Hortens' BSLD methods.
Even deliberate side slips were demonstrated under full control.

Why Karl's book did not go into more detail on this promising design concept is a mystery.

I've always wanted to know more about the Falter 1 design, but my research has come up empty thus far.

So I start this new thread as a plea for more information about the Falter 1.
I'm hoping our friends from Europe on this forum will know more about this unique aircraft design.

Back