• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

K340 - one cylinder runs rich and other lean

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith103

Hello all,

My Kawasaki 340 ( on a MiniMax ) runs off a Mikuni carb.
I noticed the rear cylinder is running consistently richer than the front.
This is shown by the front spark plug running very clean, and the rear plug fouled up and oily.

I also verified this by moving the CHT probe between the two cylinders and the front cyl reads about 70 degrees more than the rear at full throttle.
But the front cyl is still running CHT within limits ( 340 to 350 at full open throttle. ) Just that the rear cyl reads low - 260 to 270 at full throttle.

I also verified the CHT reading with an infra red thermometer. So the CHT gauge appears to read accurate.

Since CHT is within limits, my only issue is I cannot get correct tuning for the engine.
Presently, the front plug is running too clean / white, which means front is slightly too lean. The rear plug is just right - coffee / tan color.

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Back