Just thought this was to cool not to be here

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Oh, and leave it up to a Dutch guy! Seems as if the Netherlands is really becoming the tip of the spear lately!

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Very cool! Tiny little test club on that thing. I'd be very interested in learning more about that motor....

Brian Clayton

Cool!!! I wonder how the rockers are lubricated?
He says lubricated before engine startup. I imagine it has solid lifters/pushrods, so no oil that way. It would have to be dripped on (like REALLY old engines) with the extra just falling/slinging off. I have some stationary engines at work that oil that way, not a messy as you think. Open valvetrain too. You have quite bit faster wear though, compared to modern valvetrain. I think this was done for shop art, not actually for a airplane.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The pushrods and rockers remind me of a Liberty engine. Here's a video of a recent rebuild starting...there's a closeup of the cylinder heads towards the end.

liberty - YouTube

Ron Wanttaja
Cool. I wasn't aware that someone was doing a replica of the Douglas World Cruiser. My grandfather was slated to be the pilot of one of the four World Cruisers, but late in the program, Army brass decided that it would be better PR if all of the pilots were commissioned officers; my grandfather was a flying NCO.

Bruce :)

Pops

Log Member
If I remember correctly, back in the 70's there was an article in Sport Aviation of a radial built VW engine. Dan

Will Aldridge

Log Member

I very much doubt this one was made from vw parts but it's bolted to a vw so...

Last edited by a moderator:

PTAirco

I knew a chap in England, Ron Webster, who made several radials from VW and DKW parts. Mostly by hand with the aid of an ancient lathe. Both 5 and 7 cylinder versions. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyRTuggI1oY

I'm no great machinist, but all these examples prove that a simple, cheap engine is possible to produce and it isn't rocket science, despite all the nay-sayers. So what if they aren't as efficient as something out of a 2014 Honda - it doesn't have to be. I'd be quite happy to get the oil can out before every flight if it means having a cheap radial on the front of my airplane. And by the way, exposed rockers were still used on Bristol engines in the 1940s.

JamesG

Of course, even a "primitive" engine benefits from a highly skilled fabricator. But yeah, it an't rocket science. Rebuilding a Ural 750cc flat twin (Russian copy of circa 1920 Zundapp technology) was an education on just how crude a very functional machine can be.

sotaro

Impressive workmanship! 7 cylinders for 2080 cc. He must be using a very small VW engine to start with and then de-stroked. I noted the changed intake/exhaust configuration. Assuming type 1 heads, he must have moved the intake track when he cut the head in half.
I thought a 5 cylinder based on the citroen deux chevaux (2 cv) would be cheap fun especially for Europeans, or maybe based on the 500 cc Royal Enfield (Indian) motorcycle engine, especially for South Asians. For Americans, motorcycle pushrod singles or V twins are either rare or relatively expensive. However the industrial v twins would provide hours of entertainment for not too much money. 5 cylinder 2.5 liter? The interest in the flat head radial of HCH showed how the radial speaks to machinists. For experimental aircraft constructors, how much of a market is there for a radial with mass market derived heads given Rotec's control of engines just up market? Also, how practical is the purchase of such heads from non-aviation engine manufacturers? Could these radials be equivalent in performance or better than a VW for twice as much? $14,000 versus the guestimating $22,000 for the Rotec 2800. Think of the sound and the view!