• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Just for Laughs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pylon500

Supporting Member
G'Day WhirlyBoys,
I figure that I'll probably never have enough time or money to build all the wild things I design, so I'll share this rotorcraft concept I pinched (yeah I'll admit that!)
Go down and have a look at the picture, then read the rest of the post...

Specs. and ideas,
Powered by a Rotax 503 with pumper carbs from a tank with a flop tube,
Rotor diameter about 8 ft
All composite blades,
Contra-rotate via the Groen bros(?) system (a small diff in the middle!),
Blades actually 'float' in pitch, and use the 'bob-weight' system to maintain constant rpm,
Engine and rotor head on a gimble mount with 'T' bar control like early Gyro's,
'T' bar can turned like a push bike handle bar, this is connected to elevons to give yaw when vertical and roll when horizontal. (this would work opposite to rudder pedals when vertical, but I feel it would be more intuative to yaw with while vertical, and would seem to work in the correct sence for roll when horizontal),
A mixer also creates an elevator movement when pushing/pulling the whole bar,
As an old Hang-glider pilot, I feel the 'T' bar would feel natural to me, others may need some practice!
Yes, you have to fly it lying on your stomach, just like a Hang-Glider,
The whole deltoid airframe is just carved polystyrene with a layer of glass,
About 9 ft tall and about 10 ft span,
A BRS system is obvious!!
Have toyed with the idea of a handbrake lever hooked to a control that will pull 'off ' pitch, which would be used to lower the craft without reducing throttle,
I'm not sure if an 'Autorotation' is possible with this setup?,
I figure landing technique is to approach your landing area about 200 yards to the side (like a downwind) at about 200~300 ft altitude and pull (push) a steep turn to bleed off speed, as you approach wing stall (about 90 degrees around the turn you begin to yaw the rotor head upwards while applying just enough power to maintain height.
Naturally as the nose gets higher, more power is added until you are in the hover at about full power, from there lower the craft by pulling on the 'DePitcher' and weight shifting control via the 'T' bar to a landing! :gig:
Sounds easy? :(
OK, tell me why it won't work!! :ban:
Arthur.

ps, I call it the 'POGO-LITE!'

Attachments

• pogo-lite.jpg
    pogo-lite.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 533
Back