• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Just for discussion, Mechanical fuel injection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfarber

I watched a recent Experimental Aircraft Channel video about Mechanical Fuel injection.

Seems pretty straightforward, are there any significant benefits that I might be missing? Other than not needing electricity and an ECU what would a mechanical system give that an electric one would not?

I would think that the ECU would be much more efficient at fuel delivery calculations, and the ECU also monitors the system for faults, something that a mechanical system would not be able to do, ie there is no feedback other than the motor stopping.

One downside was that the mechanical system would seem to need more maintenance/calibration. For example there is no real way to adjust the fuel settings like an ECU would be able to do. You get what you get and that's all that you got. There are more sensors in an ECU system, but they are easy to diagnose and replace. Also the ECU can tell you if they are faulty, mechanical systems would not.

Anyone see something I am not??

Back