• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Just Ain't Getting It; O/A Welding 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyeurger

I'm practice welding things around the house before starting the critical welding on my Bearhawk.

Just used up (it wasn't wasted because I learned what DOESN'T work) 2 hours trying to weld up a steel bracket to a piece of .25 inch 2"X2" angle iron. The bracket is 3/16 plate. Knowing the angle would be a heat sink, I focused the flame there mostly. I could not get a puddle. Then, I cranked up the torch and could barely get a puddle with the tip about a 16th of an inch from the metal. The very weak puddle was kind of cratered by the gas pressure and there was no room to introduce the rod now. I melted some rod where I wanted to make the weld, but then, the gas jet was blowing so hard, it kept the filler from entering the tiny puddle when I did get one. Both pieces were ground shiny clean beforehand. All filler that did adhere came right off after quenching when I hammered the joint. I'm using a number 1 tip. Questions:
1) How long should it take for a puddle to form with the proper gear and flame?
2) If the area the flame is focused on turns black, will this "over carbonization" prevent a weld taking if not cleaned? (I corrected with more O2 as soon as I saw it)
3) Filler droplets appear to do everything BUT enter a puddle if pre-deposited. Is it mandatory that filler only be introduced to an active puddle?
4) How far from the work surface should I be able to keep the welding tip if I have a proper flame? How anyone can introduce rod through a 3/16 inch gap without touching tip or puddle is way beyond me.
5) With the proper flame, should I hear a hiss or a dull roar?
Thanks very much guys,
Gary

Back