Jurca MJ9 or 3/4 scale ME109

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

wiloows5050

Log Member
I need advice.

Three years ago I purchased a MJ9 project from someone. I knew the project would never fly. I wanted it for the parts and the plans. When I got home I found out the plans were not complete. It's taken me three years to finally get a complete set of plans. This search has required to trips to Germany, wasted in relationship to the plans but fun. I was finally able to put together a complete set combining some of my pages with someone else who had missing pages. I probably have over $2000 tied up in the plans. Early in this process I sent my pages into Jurca West to get what I had updated and then was told that my pages were the only pages they had. Now they want to trade me set of a different plans for a copy of my complete MJ9 plans. I feel like I am getting the short end of the deal. Any ideas what I should do or ask for?

Attachments

Kiwi303

I would say that since those are YOUR plans, paid for and owned by you... they should pay you to copy them.

So copy and return your plans with another set of plans as payment for that copy they made (or cash, what you negotiate). Or simply return your property.

They may have the Intellectual Property as expressed by the designs on those plans, but you have the ownership of the plans themselves and the legal licenced right to build from those plans that you own.

They cannot legally keep your property, that is simple theft.

The distinction (in NZ law at least) lies between the difference between Intellectual Property (the design) and Physical Property (the plans).

wiloows5050

Log Member
They don't have the new set, but they kept the digital copy of the old set that I sent with the paper copy. Fortunately I backed it up otherwise I would have to pay to get it copied again. There is no way I'm sending them the set of plans to copy it took too much work to get them. I'm not sure what I'd do with another set plans for a different plane except sell them. There full size are $1500 and 3/4 are $750. There is not a lot of interest at those prices. I'd be lucky to get half that price.

wiloows5050

Log Member
Yesterday I restarted this project. I rough cut the straps for the engine mounts. They were made of 4130, .125 and .063, I not looking forward to finishing them. I'll get the wood in a couple of weeks I hope. After going over the plans I realized that I have complete set of both the old version and the new one. The big difference is in the wood used, fuselage structure and landing gear. The changes were a redesign of the old revision to improve the landing gear and to make construction easier. Once I get started and working regularly I'll think about starting a project log. It's hard to keep up with the logs I already have.
View attachment Doc Sheet.pdf

I've attempted to up the doc sheet which people could buy when the plans were available. I hope some find it interesting.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I've attempted to up the doc sheet which people could buy when the plans were available. I hope some find it interesting.
That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

Now this will be a head-turner of a project! (You don't pick quick and easy projects, do you? ;))

wiloows5050

Log Member
The Sindlinger 5/8 scale hurricane had a construction booklet that you could buy with lots of pictures in it. The Doc sheet for the MJ100 use to be on line until last year.

Jim Grasso

I need advice.

Three years ago I purchased a MJ9 project from someone. I knew the project would never fly. I wanted it for the parts and the plans. When I got home I found out the plans were not complete. It's taken me three years to finally get a complete set of plans. This search has required to trips to Germany, wasted in relationship to the plans but fun. I was finally able to put together a complete set combining some of my pages with someone else who had missing pages. I probably have over $2000 tied up in the plans. Early in this process I sent my pages into Jurca West to get what I had updated and then was told that my pages were the only pages they had. Now they want to trade me set of a different plans for a copy of my complete MJ9 plans. I feel like I am getting the short end of the deal. Any ideas what I should do or ask for?

Anyone kow where I can find Jurca's 3/4 P-51 Plans??

n45bm

Anyone kow where I can find Jurca's 3/4 P-51 Plans??
Jurca plans are as hard as hen's teeth to find. I've a friend that had an MJ-5 Sirocco and I got a few rides in it, but he sold it and the new owner turned I into a ball of splinters. There are other options for a Mustang, though all metal. Not gonna be cheap either way. Besides, wood materials are getting scarce.

manna

You might want to have a look at the SAL 2/3 Mustang, which is a derivative of the Jurca Mustang. Designed by Chris Falconar. The plans are available from Manna Aviation.

wwz7777

HBA Supporter
Hi Don,
I just discovered this thread. Are you saying you would sell a copy of your plans? If so and legal, I would be interested. BTW, did Marcel include the drawings for a steel tube fuselage with aluminum skin like other Jurca designs?

Bill

wiloows5050

Log Member
I'll talk to Mike when I get a chance. I have shelved this project because a I need more material and it's a low priority, I have four ahead of it including a Tiger Moth restoration. There was never a metal fuselage option with the 109. never got around to designing one. I think that the design changes that came out of the German 109 project made a metal option a waste of time.

wwz7777

HBA Supporter
I'll talk to Mike when I get a chance. I have shelved this project because a I need more material and it's a low priority, I have four ahead of it including a Tiger Moth restoration. There was never a metal fuselage option with the 109. never got around to designing one. I think that the design changes that came out of the German 109 project made a metal option a waste of time.
Hi Don,
Thanks for the info and keep me posted on your talks with Mike. I did send him my 3/4 scale Fw-190 plans as a trade for the -109 plans.

Cheers!

Bill

wiloows5050

Log Member
You might want to have a look at the SAL 2/3 Mustang, which is a derivative of the Jurca Mustang. Designed by Chris Falconar. The plans are available from Manna Aviation.
I acquired a complete set of SAL plans. My son has started build one with my help.