Quantcast

Jurca FW 190 performance numbers

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jgnunn

I was on this site looking for FW190 info Legend Of Aces Aviation, and I noticed the low performance numbers, considering there is 300hp on the nose of a relatively streamlined and light airplane? Thoughts?

"The MJ-8 is a 75% scale Plans Built FW-190 replica Powered by a 300 HP radial Engine. All fuselage formers and wing ribs are shown full size on the plans and can be traced directly onto the material for easy cut-out. Plans show how to build both the wooden version and tubular version.
Length: 21' 9"
Wingspan: 25' 10"
Wing Area: 110 ft2
Empty weight: 800 lbs.
Gross weight: 1,380 lbs.
Max Speed: 160 MPH
Rate Of Climb: 1,650 Ft/Min"
==

AVI

I was on this site looking for FW190 info Legend Of Aces Aviation, and I noticed the low performance numbers, considering there is 300hp on the nose of a relatively streamlined and light airplane? Thoughts?

"The MJ-8 is a 75% scale Plans Built FW-190 replica Powered by a 300 HP radial Engine. All fuselage formers and wing ribs are shown full size on the plans and can be traced directly onto the material for easy cut-out. Plans show how to build both the wooden version and tubular version.
Length: 21' 9"
Wingspan: 25' 10"
Wing Area: 110 ft2
Empty weight: 800 lbs.
Gross weight: 1,380 lbs.
Max Speed: 160 MPH
Rate Of Climb: 1,650 Ft/Min"
==

The stated empty weight of 800 lbs seems rather unrealistic, doesn't it?

PTAirco

Very - a 300 hp engine of any kind will weigh about 500lbs installed, leaving 300lbs for the airframe?? Wishful thinking.

Wasn't there some controversy about the people selling these plans in the past? As in, did the possess the rights to them?

bruce

As the other Jurca 75% replicas have a gross weight in the 3000 lb range, it looks like the weight for the FW-190 is listed in kilograms rather than pounds.

litespeed

Just checked out the other Marcel Jurca planes, all very nice.

I agree with Bruce, they must be in Kgs, and this makes sense as it is a French design and the frogs, like the rest of the planet use Metric.

Black13

The Jurca MJ8 (190) I am building requires the stress analysis to be carried out before it can fly in the UK. For the last 3 years I have taken a leap of faith and have been building said aircraft, whilst working with a stress analysis engineer. The figures for top speed, cruising speed and diving speed come out much higher than the figures quoted above. For example; the cruise speed is expected to be just below 200 MPH (using the 300 HP IO-540 A1A5 engine with a Hartzell 82" 3 blade Cs prop). As the first person to build one in the UK I have to complete the build and supply the figures to my stress man before the LAA will look at it and hopefully approve it. The true top speed and other data I will reveal then.