Jungster 1 & 2 aircraft

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Dennis DeFrange

HBA Supporter
What ever happened to the Little Jungster out of Tulsa that the Chanel 8 News Anchor used in his commercial . White , red trim , and a big #8 on the side . I walked into a hanger in Thompson Georgia back in 1985 and it was setting there . Never saw it again . Bob Hewer was his name .

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
If you do not have a trim tab, the horizontal stabilizer needs to have some ground adjustability. That will be the only way to trim it. If you get it right, you should be able to handle the off trim times. Early Pitts did not have trim. It is a nice thing though, even if it’s trimmed well for most conditions.
Cheers, yes there is the ability to pack washers under the front stab. I’m mainly thinking weight reduction to leave it off.
It has a trim system already that I’ll tweak a little (push pull vernier style) seems like the cable length is way too long, might go for a lighter vernier set up too.image.jpg

TFF

My Starduster vernier is pretty big. The core wire is what has to be strong enough. That is probably how they size it.

Fighting 14

Hey Dominic, I took a bunch of pics for you. No not tired of you. Trim is a good plan. This bird had a much too large elevator trim when I bought it. The one I flew in Denver when I was twenty did not have one and it was much needed.
So yes although the plans do not call for it, it helped. Not so much a fan of how the one on F-14 was attached. Not much meat in the trailing edge where it screwed on. Plus the Jungster elevator is not mass balanced and with a supposed Vne of 200 mph........I am not a big proponent of attaching more weight to the T.E. Even so I built a new and better version and will install it later if it needs it. Leave plenty of inspection rings along the bottom of the fuselage in case later you need to get into the fuselage to make changes. My memory of the Denver Jungster is that it was a Drag monster and getting that one up to 195 mph required a mighty dive at zero G. It did not loop for ****!! The guy I bought this one from had a different story. Since I have yet to fly it since going through it......who knows if he was accurate. But the Denver bird snapped great and looped like a Blivet. Anyway here are more pictures than all of you may want to see. Hope they help you guys out.

Attachments

Fighting 14

This should do it. I am going to see if VGs help. Big issue here is DAs are consistently above 10,000 feet in the summertime. Reducing landing speed will make this thing better. I suspect snappiness will be affected but soap rolls are at such a high angle of attack the VGs are not doing anything for you at that point anyway. I will let you all know.

Attachments

Reactions: BJC

Fighting 14

Here are some linkage pics taken under the cockpit. F-ing 14 was built using only pushrods. You can look at this and pretty well figure how the rudder and elevator work. Some pics of the upgrade. Last two are my N3N-3 rear cockpit, and a pic of it in front of a WWII hangar at Gainesville, TX before we flew it to Wyoming. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

Fighting 14

Note the latches on the cockpit doors. The rear end is held magnetically. You see a magnetic cabinet latch and a disc magnet on a steel bracket. The front is latched by a red lever which overlaps the front cockpit combing.

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Dude!! Thank you so much!
Keep posting and up date us on your progress and flights! This is exactly what I started this thread for, compile a bunch of pics and info for these lovely little planes.
Push pull rudder! I’ve not seen that on a small plane before, I’ll be interested in how it feels.
I like your magnet snaps for doors at the rear, I’ve been contemplating something similar.
I used a rod end for strut adjustment too except on the rear strut.
I’ve put a fork on the rear lower cabane too. Many of my mods are pinched from Jerry Kerr’s beautiful Jungster 1 pic below.
Thanks again for posting the pics 👍
Best I get back to work on these cabanes, tacking up the 1st rear finger straps 😁3641369A-466F-40FF-A037-92A5D170A52B.jpegC2CCB082-F129-4EAE-AC9C-372E2AA0C05A.jpeg

Fighting 14

Looks great. Every time I use my Tig is an adventure. Lot like landing a DC-3. Sometimes you get the Bear and sometimes the Bear gets you. Really Nice work! If I thought I'd live another 30 years I would like to build a small Waco Taperwing using the same construction as RK used on the Jungster. Your craftsmanship looks great and you will have a really nice airplane when you finish. Too bad there is not an easy way to have some more span. I think the airplane would fly better. The ailerons as you will find out are about like a Citabria. I was going to put S-seals in my ailerons to improve the roll rate, but finally said forget it. They were producing more friction than I wanted. The push pull rudder system feels the same as rudder cables. Here is a pic of a Taperwing and I noticed the same rod end adjustment on N strut as we were talking about.

Attachments

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
That tapper wing is beautiful !
My TIG welding has come along way but I still make a mess sometimes!
Fortunately the bit I just did worked out pretty good for me 😁
It’s taken most of the day but I have one rear upper nearly tacked and one finished weld 😁
image.jpgimage.jpg

Fighting 14

I had a heck of a time using the foot pedal and trying to balance well enough to control my rod. I have since gone to the finger control and my welds are not great but they look much better. Why do welders prefer the foot pedal? I am much steadier without it.

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
That tapper wing is beautiful !
My TIG welding has come along way but I still make a mess sometimes!
Fortunately the bit I just did worked out pretty good for me 😁
It’s taken most of the day but I have one rear upper nearly tacked and two finished welds 😁

I find the pedal easier, it does allow full control of the current during welding with out disturbing the torch position, and I have a very nice CK world wide 17 flex head torch. It’s small and lite so you can move it very precisely, that and the fulpa ceramic cup and a gas lens totally changed my welding experience for the better.
3255CD43-9E57-4C52-9966-25107038FF58.jpeg15D3D1E8-9671-432A-83E0-00ECE6954637.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TFF

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Last two are my N3N-3 rear cockpit, and a pic of it in front of a WWII hangar at Gainesville, TX before we flew it to Wyoming. Hope you enjoy.
I saw that N3N-3 at Gainseville a couple of years ago at one of the AAA fly-ins. Big, beautiful bird!

Fighting 14

Don at Aircraft Magneto, Missoula called me yesterday. Said my mag and harness operated perfectly. He sent them back to me yesterday along with an extra serviceable harness. Free of charge. I bought my Bendix mags from them back in April. Cannot say enough how great they are!! The engine was running beautifully and after a several engine runs and total of probably an hour, suddenly a big drop on the right mag during mag check. Cold cylinder check confirmed #2 was the affected cylinder. Tried 3 different Ohm tested plugs and had the same result. Removed the right mag and harness and sent them to Aircraft Magneto. Both test normal. Don thought maybe it was an intake leak.
Don't think so as that issue would show up full time on either mag. Condenser, mag, mag harness and P-lead all check normal. I am going to replace the intake hose anyway and see if in fact it will have an effect. I'll try that extra ignition harness to see if somehow that may have been the issue. At this point we are scratching our heads. Anybody have any ideas?

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Lovely livery on you big radial beast N3N-3 !
I do like a radial, I’m leaning heavily to a Verner radial in the Jungster but I do want the sustained inverted ability offered be other engines, the jury is still out…..I wish Lycombing would get up to date and make some CNC light weight cores. 270+ pounds installed for 150-160 hp is too much in 2021.