Jungster 1 & 2 aircraft

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Fighting 14

All the wing fairings are on. Wind too strong to even want to open the hangar today. Still need to fair the tail group.
Nice to have the wing fairings done. Once I get the Condition Inspection I will get serious about flying. **** I hate our weather. Everywhere else is calm today and we are gusting to 30 knots again with direction variable by 20 degrees. Airmet for moderate turbulence from the surface to FL410 today. This pic was days ago. Winds tomorrow expected to gust to 40, then more snow. We are sitting under the Jet Stream. Shizen!! Sooner or later the planets will align, and I will have a party!! That's it from Lake Wobegone.fullsizeoutput_fe.jpeg

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Wow your weather does suck a bit lately!
The light wind straight down the R/W will come and what a day it will be! 👍

Fighting 14

Condition Inspection signed off!!! Yea! 🙂 Cold today. Have a tire vibration on the right side at higher speed. Ran out of day, will figure that out tomorrow or the next day. Snow tomorrow. Mighty cold doing the high speed taxi thing this afternoon. Cold and humid equals COLD! The wind was what I have needed though. Too bad I picked up the vibration. Need to thoroughly investigate and see what's going on. Just looked out the window and it is already starting to snow. May have to put skis on the Jungster...............⛷. :oops:😜

Fighting 14

The vibration I experienced was much like you feel when driving over the rumble strip along the edge of the road. My first impression was that he tire had gone flat, but as soon as I reduced speed the vibration stopped. Here is a list of things I want to check. 1. Tire out of round and tire condition and balance
2. Bearing tightness
3. Landing gear welds
4. Recheck wheel alignment
5. Tire pressures
If need be I will mount a Go Pro and try to replicate the vibration. If anyone has any other ideas, suggestions are very welcome. Thanks! Unable to go to airport today so the investigation must wait.

andyvg52

HBA Supporter
The vibration I experienced was much like you feel when driving over the rumble strip along the edge of the road. My first impression was that he tire had gone flat, but as soon as I reduced speed the vibration stopped. Here is a list of things I want to check. 1. Tire out of round and tire condition and balance
2. Bearing tightness
3. Landing gear welds
4. Recheck wheel alignment
5. Tire pressures
If need be I will mount a Go Pro and try to replicate the vibration. If anyone has any other ideas, suggestions are very welcome. Thanks! Unable to go to airport today so the investigation must wait.
My tendency would be to remove wheel pants for winter as you might be fast taxiing through snow drifts In the next several Wyoming months.. 😀

Fighting 14

For sure if the snow gets that prevalent. Since I appear to be getting close to having this thing flying I want to share some pics starting from the beginning. 1st is a pic of the airplane as it looked when I arrived back in Gainesville, TX after flying from outside Atlanta. It did not have the spinner or wheel pants. I drew those on to see if they were something I would want to add.IMG_3839.jpg

Attachments

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Great pics!! More more more!
So interesting to see the evolution.
I saved a pic of your bird when she was red and white, I liked that livery too.

3A9142B2-C8BC-4B80-A8DD-B4BB9FCF049F.jpeg

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
quick question, how are your side access panels at he rudder pedals mounted? just screws into the wood? or a tinnerman of some sort. I'm keen to put more than a small inspection hole here too.

Fighting 14

Hi Dom,
I don't have a great picture but in short there is a length of aluminum extrusion running along the top longhorn from just forward of the cockpit doors to the firewall. It is fastened by brass screws and bolts. The fuel tank straps are attached by steel L shaped fittings which are bolted through the top longhorn and through the extrusion running from cockpit to firewall. This aluminum extrusion is L shaped but at an angle which conforms to the contour of the fuselage. So the angle is greater or less than 90 degrees depending on how you are looking at it. This extrusion was part of the airplane when I bought it. It has rivenuts installed. The side skins abeam the fuel tank are attached to aluminum L-channels which are bolted to the bulkhead which you can see in the pic, and the firewall which you can see in this pic. This was the technique Carl Benner used to provide access to the forward cockpit. You can see these originals did not line up parallel to the longeron. Unfortunately I don't have any shots which show the upper L-channel attached to the upper longhorn. I hope this helps you. Here is a pic which shows them as they were aligned originally, and you can see how they are bolted to the firewall and bulkhead.

Attachments

Fighting 14

To clarify, in the prior pic the cockpit to firewall aluminum extrusion is not mounted so you cannot see it. The top skin attaches to this same extrusion and overlies the side skins.

Attachments

Fighting 14

Did you catch the half outside loop in the aerobatic video? Pretty Cool. On a different vein, how cool would say a 80 or 90 percent scale Waco Taperwing be? Using the same construction as the Jungster 1? You know I like the Taperwing. Dom, where do you source your wood? Wx report here is joyous, wind forecast to 60 knots today has been lowered to 45 knots. I have to go pay bills today so will go to the hangar and do some vibration sleuthing. In order to inspire your next project Dominic and others so inspired here is a pic and a vid. ac1636508068190372.jpg

Fighting 14

Dom, if you look at the picture above where the fuselage has been stripped, you can see sitting on the upper longeron,
the black and yellow painted extruded aluminum L-channel. 🙂

Fighting 14

When I added my improved cockpit doors, that piece of channel which lays where the cockpit door sits, is removed, cut off, so the door hinges can sit there. They are brass screwed into the cockpit upper longeron.

Fighting 14

Went to the hangar and trouble shot my wheel vibration. Jacked up the wheel just enough to turn and indeed it is out of round. No flat spots, just out of round. Ordering 2 new tires. These current tires were new when I bought the airplane........13 years ago. Cheap pilot. IMG_3841.jpg They appear perfect but they are not. :pilot:

Fighting 14

Saw this good demo of pro-spin and anti-spin aileron in a Yak 52 in an upright spin. Down aileron is just like rudder in that same direction. In fact if you allow the Yak 52 to really wind up spinning to the left, it needs anti-spin aileron (aileron in the direction of the spin) in order to effect recovery, in addition to opposite rudder and nose down elevator. Notice how in the inverted spin they are using neutral aileron. Good reason to break oneself of trying to raise a stalled wing with the aileron.
Hope this helps somebody. Aileron into the direction of spin assists the rudder in stopping rotation. Same thing in a crosswind. Not only does the aileron hold the wing down it also helps the rudder to prevent the airplane from weather vaning into the wind. I know you all probably knew this. Sorry.

Fighting 14

Dominic I know you have been wrestling with what engine to use. I re-visited this video and I see why. Might just forget snap rolling in order to use one of the Verners. Way cool. You have a very nice airframe and with a longer gear and a Verner you would be "The Man".👍:fear: