Jungster 1 & 2 aircraft

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Fighting 14

Taxi video
There is one more but having problems getting it to convert to a MP4 file. Yea I think I like the idea of painting the fairings to match.

Fighting 14

Wind was across the runway from the left 15 gusting 20. I kept the speed down and tail down. No wish to wreck it. I look straight but it felt like a squirrel.

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Good job with the vids 👍
Love the look and sound.
I hope you get all your ducks in a row soon and the weather is good.

Fighting 14

It will happen. I am waiting for resin and hardener. I pulled this video up today. Only in NZ. 😃 The Wanaka Airshow is on my bucket list.

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
That was a good show that year, unfortunately they have all been sold now.
You will enjoy the aviation heritage museum at the Omaka air field, top of the South Island just south of Blenheim. It’s a Peter Jackson project. Pretty bloody impressive. Lots of WW1 stuff.

Fighting 14

I saw the I-15 and I-16 when they were at Midland, TX back in the early 2000s. I really enjoyed watching them. I never expected to see either of them fly. Too cool!!

Fighting 14

Hey Dom, The feeling I get from the Jungster and it may be largely due to the pushrod operated rudder is the there is no friction in the system and the rudder is too light, and there fore very little feel. It also wants to pull to the left. If I relax for more than a few tenths of a second it wants to head off the left at an increasing rate. Feels worse in the cockpit than the videos show. It has to be a gear track issue. One thing that I think will help is to add some artificial feel to the rudder. If I can add some springs to either side to make the rudder stiffer I think it will help. Maybe adding them to the tailwheel steering hornsIMG_3614.jpg and attaching them to the airframe somehow would accomplish this. Any ideas?

andyvg52

HBA Supporter
Hey Dom, The feeling I get from the Jungster and it may be largely due to the pushrod operated rudder is the there is no friction in the system and the rudder is too light, and there fore very little feel. It also wants to pull to the left. If I relax for more than a few tenths of a second it wants to head off the left at an increasing rate. Feels worse in the cockpit than the videos show. It has to be a gear track issue. One thing that I think will help is to add some artificial feel to the rudder. If I can add some springs to either side to make the rudder stiffer I think it will help. Maybe adding them to the tailwheel steering hornsView attachment 117089 and attaching them to the airframe somehow would accomplish this. Any ideas?
Nice taxi videos, I would carefully check toe in/out in relation to longitudinal axis; I basically used a straight edge against stub wing fittings to eyeball tire tread relation. Also used an automotive 'toe' bar device from wheel to wheel; Dubois airport reminds me of Driggs, ID where I worked for close to 17 years..!

Fighting 14

Thanks Andy, yea I did all that earlier and I am going to do it again tomorrow. Sadly the runway at Dubois was built on elevated earth work where if you run off the runway you are going to have a major wreck. I ran long aluminum channels forward and to the rear, squared on the rims. I measured the distance between the wheels and carried that number forward and aft both to check for straightness. I was within a degree or 2 of being aligned with the center line. The right was right on and the left was toed out a very small amount. I wish RK had designed the gear with the ability to adjust the toe in. The axles are fixed and there is no way even to shim them. I will keep increasing speed in small increments and see if it can be managed. What did you do at Driggs? I wish I could be doing this on the grass runway at Driggs.

Fighting 14

Adding rudder feel won't fix the track issue but it may give some resistance to help dampen things. Sort of the same technique used by the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels flying close formation, to add about 40 pounds nose down trim to give your arm some constant pressure to work against in order to smooth things out. Sounds weird but it works.

andyvg52

HBA Supporter
Adding rudder feel won't fix the track issue but it may give some resistance to help dampen things. Sort of the same technique used by the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels flying close formation, to add about 40 pounds nose down trim to give your arm some constant pressure to work against in order to smooth things out. Sounds weird but it works.
A little toe-out on l/s isn't so bad, I would think having push/pull rods makes steering very sensitive, not like lo tension cables; grass strip at Driggs wasn't much to speak of- quite bumpy if not scraped regularly but way more forgiving than asphalt; I worked as 1 of A&P lA's at Teton Aviation Center, til I got tired of 6 month winters.. Jungster1 I bought sight unseen had serious problems thru out including frozen gear springs, toe-in about 5 degrees each, no cylinder compression, and a myriad of others, mostly all resolved but still a work in progress..

Fighting 14

Yep Winter is mighty long. Toe in is worse and I am pretty sure the Jungmeister was designed with a degree or two of toe-in. I could be wrong. Well good luck on yours. If I have to re-do the gear. I think a redesign where the axle bolts on and can be shimmed is the way I will go. I don't get to Driggs much anymore. I met Doc Sugden a few times. I used to live in Pinedale. But low altitude and warm weather makes light airplane flying much easier. I understand the work in progress. We are under a Winter Storm Watch......Again. I think running a spring on each side connecting the tailwheel steering horn on the rudder to the metal strap that the lower horizontal. stab brace wires connect might be a place to start as far as adding some rudder feel to the system. Sorta like the way rudder pedal springs connect to the rudder pedals on a C-180 or 182 except I would add it at the horn on the tail where it is easily accessed. I will let you know, but I think sticking to the original cable driven rudder will add the needed friction. And I need to quit flying in hiking boots. 😊