Jungster 1 & 2 aircraft

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

M Clarke

C36CA8F8-B97E-4862-A03B-959F457C3602.jpeg 7510BC22-8084-4B9A-A0BA-1A3FE566E885.jpeg 1B9346C4-E84C-4404-8804-E211ED4EA313.jpeg

I would definitely recommend adding hand holds if you don’t have them. Here are some pictures showing my hand hold and the differences between the Jungster 1 and 2 center sections. The 2 has a full chromoly tube structure inside the center section rather than a wood spar. The ribs are bolted to tabs welded onto the tubes. The rear tube with the wing attach points also acts as the hand hold. I’ve tried climbing in and out without using the hand hold and it’s a real pain!

M Clarke

Those Saulniers loom great together.
M Clark are you going to get some large decals made to dress yours up like a semi military one? Could look very cool.

Not sure yet, that would be pretty cool though. It actually did have a big decal on the side at one point but someone removed it before I got it
30F9C06B-C594-4EC8-BDC7-85CD2463355A.jpeg

Dominic Eller

Supporting Member
I contact cemented the full size rib to a piece of plywood to make a sort of "master rib" that I could then use as a router jig. I cut out the rib and sanded it to shape, but when I measured it, it was 32 1/2" long instead of 32". I'm not sure about the rest of the drawings because I figure if they have dimensions, that's good enough. After going through the drawings today I decided to build something else. I think my build time for the J-1 would go up 25% just for interpreting the prints. Thanks for your help though. Nice to know someone's out there.

Hey Skybaby9, don’t be too hasty to give up the Jungster 1 build. I’m sure any questions and difficult to decipher plan details can be answered here.
When I printed my plans I worked with the printer until we had some known dimensions accurate on the paper prints.
I can send you my CAD file for the ply rib if you like? Having them CNC cut is a real quick accurate way. I made traditional ribs for the centre section as something to do while I waited for my wood order to turn up. They look nice but not much lighter at all than the ply ones.
8E3E6E0C-19C1-451A-AA49-AFD30A3F8E7C.jpeg 449500EC-C6B6-42C9-81C6-9CC915130D88.jpeg B8D7AA24-AE52-47AA-991D-91748D44E61F.jpeg 82A76F3D-198D-4B0A-B7E7-66870F7E27C8.jpeg B6A7696E-B73B-4224-BFC7-4C822D523B22.jpeg

Last edited:

Dominic Eller

Supporting Member
View attachment 116682 View attachment 116683 View attachment 116684

I would definitely recommend adding hand holds if you don’t have them. Here are some pictures showing my hand hold and the differences between the Jungster 1 and 2 center sections. The 2 has a full chromoly tube structure inside the center section rather than a wood spar. The ribs are bolted to tabs welded onto the tubes. The rear tube with the wing attach points also acts as the hand hold. I’ve tried climbing in and out without using the hand hold and it’s a real pain!

That’s a strong!! C section, so far I have no problem getting in and out using longerons and or cabanes. Might be helped by having the cockpit tension member extended to provide more room. It’s was a real trick to get in and out with it in the drawings position. I’ll make a finale decision once the cockpit doors etc are finished and before covering the C section

Last edited:

Martti Mattila

Greetings from Finland, I have Spectrum Beaver 550 wings (two sets) hanging in rafters and decade old idea of using them in some Stolph Starlet type plane, but not get it done yet. But now I have SP licence and that profision question is out of the way. All I need is a second life I m. 69 soon. Steel tube I have and knowlege to cut and weld. I also work with inverted inline aircooled engine, test phase in on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 14

Martti Mattila

Yeah, because Jungster looks like it could use Beaver 550 wing, top view is arrow. I got a lot of engines build and more is coming. This is a Citroen Visa 650cc. I carve props too, so no time to build airplanes.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 14
Hey Skybaby9, don’t be too hasty to give up the Jungster 1 build. I’m sure any questions and difficult to decipher plan details can be answered here.
When I printed my plans I worked with the printer until we had some known dimensions accurate on the paper prints.
I can send you my CAD file for the ply rib if you like? Having them CNC cut is a real quick accurate way. I made traditional ribs for the centre section as something to do while I waited for my wood order to turn up. They look nice but not much lighter at all than the ply ones.
View attachment 116729 View attachment 116730 View attachment 116731 View attachment 116732 View attachment 116733
Hey Dominic, the problem is that the supplied rib is the wrong size, and I don't know how to correct it. There's probably some kind of software approach (I scanned the sheet before I glued the rib to a piece of plywood), but I'm anything but tech savvy. The print shop employees can't/won't help. It just got pretty frustrating. The station chart for the ribs doesn't have nearly enough points to make a smooth curve. I'd really like to build one of these, I'm just wondering how accurate these drawings are.

Tiger Tim

The station chart for the ribs doesn't have nearly enough points to make a smooth curve.
I haven’t seen that particular station chart but surely if you plotted those points on a board and drove a nail in each one, a quarter inch square cap strip would find where it wants to be, no?

I haven’t seen that particular station chart but surely if you plotted those points on a board and drove a nail in each one, a quarter inch square cap strip would find where it wants to be, no?
Kinda sorta. The most important part is the first few inches of leading edge, which would require a lot of points.

Kinda sorta. The most important part is the first few inches of leading edge, which would require a lot of points.

Dominic Eller

Supporting Member

I’ll put my cad file up here if you like? Just use that.
The rib is about the only full size bit on the plans. The rest is just using the dimensions to draw up a template.
I have the simple horizontal bolt engine mount and the undercarriage attach spar plates all so in CAD if you like. I would like to have my buddy put the whole lot of flat plate parts in CAD formate someday.
Then water cutting everything would really speed things up 👍

Attachments

• 8F40B8FA-27B4-413C-9CAC-6DBF64911573.jpeg
    8F40B8FA-27B4-413C-9CAC-6DBF64911573.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Dominic Eller

Supporting Member
It would be better to use it to have them CNC cut. You could have it printed. It’s a DXF file so needs CAD software to open and use.
One thing I’ve learnt from re building this and reading many forums on home built aircraft like the Jungster 1 and 2 drawn by hand is that many many plans have errors on them. It’s just part of it.
Even modern kits from well known manufacturers come out in the early numbers with an issue or two around their construction. Try not to over think things too much. Remember we are not building a space shuttle, just a big model plane. It has to be done correctly but likely not one single Jungster could be said to be built exactly to plan.
Have you built any models before? Or other homebuilt planes?
If not, a good idea would be to build a model using the plans. This would give you a great insight into building the basic structure and learn a lot of techniques that will come in handy for the real thing.

Last edited:
It would be better to use it to have them CNC cut. You could have it printed.
One thing I’ve learnt from re building this and reading many forums on home built aircraft like the Jungster 1 and 2 drawn by hand is that many many plans have errors on them. It’s just part of it.
Even modern kits from well known manufacturers come out in the early numbers with an issue or two around their construction. Try not to over think things too much. Remember we are not building a space shuttle, just a big model plane. It has to be done correctly but likely not one single Jungster could be said to be built exactly to plan.

Dominic Eller

Supporting Member
Yeah, because Jungster looks like it could use Beaver 550 wing, top view is arrow. I got a lot of engines build and more is coming. This is a Citroen Visa 650cc. I carve props too, so no time to build airplanes.

I just had a look at the spectrum beaver 550 and I doubt those wings would have anywhere near the structural integrity to handle +9 -6 g do they ?

Martti Mattila

Well have you seen Beaver 550 aerobatics in Y tube and of course MTOW has something to do with it. But seriously B. 550 weak point is drag anti drag wires and Struts can be made from 4130. I dont do aerobatics anyway, whole idea is to have some use for those wings, first generation ultralights are not for me. This is my first tree blade prop. made in last summer, and most of the tools.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 13

TFF

For Skybaby9. I think with your rib issue you crossed old and new. I would say every homebuilt airplane built with plans before 1995 and many later have had the rib mismatch issue. CAD has been a blessing and also has spoiled builders. Classic old printing equipment changed the drawings with the process. Builders figured away to adapt. Literally first test of will to build. With the aerodynamics of cloth covered wings, most minor adjustments will never be noticed flying. There wasn’t a choice before CAD and that’s the beauty of wood and for different planes steel tubes, not critical to make adjustments. Other materials are much harder to fix if one finds off.