JSP so404 torch?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

13brv3

HBA Supporter

TFF

I found it very uncomfortable to use the Meco. Hard to hold and lots of heat transfer to the body. The small Smith is much easier to use in my opinion. The Meco also broke on us. Fixed for free, but annoying.

Toobuilder

Log Member
I grew up with a tiny little "pencil body" torch but eventually ran out of servicable tips. I switched to the Meco years ago and have adapted to the weird shape. I prefer the pencil bodies but the Meco has been very good to me.

This offering from JSP looks like a direct copy of the Meco.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I suspect that it comes down to personal preference, but, like TFF, I like the Smith. The Meco and Henrob would probably be fine for welding at a bench, but not for reaching into a fuselage working around a cluster.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
This offering from JSP looks like a direct copy of the Meco.
Might be, but I would verify that before buying. The Victor torch looks very similar to the Smith, but, in my experience (years ago), there is a significant difference favoring the Smith.

BJC

TFF

The hose that the Meco uses is worthwhile. The light weight hose makes it less like a chain hanging off the torch. If the Meco was longer to get into my palm some, it would be more comfortable to me. Holding it with thumb and two fingers gets really tiring for me. Had the tips maxed out welding some of a Legal Eagle. Some really small stuff it would be perfect. I need to silver solder stuff on models, it would be great then. The guy selling them is an expert. That sometimes does not translate to regular weekend warriors.

13brv3

HBA Supporter
I've done some TIG welding on 4130 tubing, and while not pretty, it also hasn't killed me (yet). There are some spots that I've really struggled to get decent welds, and I've read that a small torch is the answer to that. I've done very little gas welding, next to none really, and tried a Dillon/Henrob/Cobra torch some time back. I remember it being really bulky and awkward, but standard type torches seem really long to me. The Meco is really highly rated by a lot of folks, so that was why I was looking for one, or something like it. I do think the JSP looks the same, but I can't find much about it.

Toobuilder

Log Member
Just dug my old one out. It's an Airco model 0400. There's one on eBay right now for $49 bucks. Good little torch.

trimtab

Gas is fine, been using it for steel tube airframe welding since I was 13. But frankly, TIG is not only faster, easier, more comfortable and more versatile, but costs about half as much to operate. Straight Ar for thin wall work, 5%-10% CO2 for plate work, about $15 per sweaty hour for shield gas. Oxy acetylene is closer to $30-$35 per much sweatier hour. I also use the TIG box for plasma cutting, brazing, and stick welding, and use with carbons for really heavy farm work. The gas rig is for remote, some fast cutting, carbeurizing, and heat relieving.

But if the torch is what you want, the Millers have valves that actually last for decades of regular use.

I found I am clumsier with gas on thin wall 4130 now after only about a decade with the TIG rig.

wanttobuild

Might I suggest you give the Meco a test drive? More importantly, the lightweight hose.
After welding with the Meco for a bit you will quickly chunk all the rest of your torches.

The Meco shines for cluster work! Ask me how I know

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
I know Scrapper likes the Meco. I have a Victor, Meco and yesterday I bought a used Dillon at the Copper State fly-in. Someday I might get good enough to trust my welding skills.

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Thanks for the comments. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Meco Midget (JSP if it's the same) or the Smith AW1A. It just looks like the Smith would be more comfortable to hold, but it's probably a bit heavier. I would imagine using it in places I have difficulty getting the TIG, and for anything that might need to be normalized, so a few extra ounces wouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for the comments. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Meco Midget (JSP if it's the same) or the Smith AW1A. It just looks like the Smith would be more comfortable to hold, but it's probably a bit heavier. I would imagine using it in places I have difficulty getting the TIG, and for anything that might need to be normalized, so a few extra ounces wouldn't be a big deal.
I wrote the JSP company inquiring if the torch was compatible with MECO Midget tips. The reply is attached.
I think they are mostly serving the Jewelry craft industry which explains why home builders have not been exposed to them.

Screenshot_20200210-112802_Gmail.jpg

Last edited:

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Thanks for asking, and passing along their answer. If I decide to go with that shape, I'll likely give them a try. I still can't help but think the Smith AW1A would be more comfortable. Price wise the Meco and Smith aren't much different. The biggest cost for both is the tanks, regs, hoses, etc.

The "Old Timers" call the Smith AW1A the airline series and think rather highly of them. The Meco format has it's loyal followers. Read the Zen of the Puddle make your choice and don't look back gas is a good method for rag and tube! Practice practice practice then go!

billyvray

This size torch feels like a toy. However, once in use it is wonderful. Wrists, arms, shoulders are easily more comfortable while working.
I noticed that depending where you look, the JSP is roughly the same price as the Meco, sometimes cheaper, and sometimes more expensive.
There are also others: Smith Little Torch and the Arczone
What else has been used by you guys?

A very small torch!

http://www.flamingsteel.com/resources/1 Meca torch 2.jpg.opt514x385o0,0s514x385.jpg

Steel sculptor likes a 6 pack of torches but is keen on the MECO
http://www.flamingsteel.com/tool-tricks-from-my-welding-studio.php

It apears paige tools makes an adapter that would allow your to use meco style tips on the Smith Aviator A1WA torch.

I believe the same thread could be added to my old Marquette Jet Aiviator torch to give it a new lease on life assuming i can service the valves with new o-rings.

I live near Scrapper Inmay need to test drive his MECO Midget.

https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuilders/1171231-getting-most-out-propane-multi-port-tips.html

Last edited:
Reactions: BJC
Group Builder