• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Joined wing/Stagger Wing/Control Wing/Seaplane/ trouble?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dart

Supporting Member
Hello all,

I've been thinking about this for a few years, and just upgraded my CAD package, so decided to try to crystallize some of my thoughts about an alternative wing configuration.

Eventually I'd like to try building this, though I'll likely RC model it first.

My design goals were to enable very low speed flight, water takeoff and landing, efficient flight (low fuel consumption per distance) and tight wingspan.

In general after a lot of research it seems like a very light single seat plane with around 30 hp motor, given a 120 sq ft wing area, might have a stall speed in the range of 30km/hr. As a trial power plant I'm looking at a powered parachute motor and prop, eventually would like to move to a larger motor inside and forward (to maintain CG) and a much larger prop using a belt drive speed reduction.

These are some of my thoughts. The largest question I'm facing right now feels like what should my wing area distribution be. You can see in this variety of sketches that I'm toying with a number of idea's. I'm posting all this so as to get some input on this question as well as general input.

While tis quite blue sky at this point, as you will see if you visit my wind turbine page, when I get enthusiastic about idea's, I do take them a long way.
Art Turbine

Here's a few sketches. I tried to save each as a multi view, but it seems that's another thing I haven't mastered yet....

Image 2015-05-01 at 8.02 PM.jpgImage 2015-05-01 at 8.04 PM.jpgImage 2015-05-01 at 8.09 PM.jpgImage 2015-05-01 at 8.11 PM.jpg

I'm looking forward to your input, and thanks for all the great info on your site! Very well moderated in what can be such a hot topic amongst enthusiasts!
P.S. my work sometimes makes it impossible for me to respond in a timely way. Please be patient if you are waiting for a response to a question.

Attachments

• Image 2015-05-01 at 8.14 PM.jpg
    Image 2015-05-01 at 8.14 PM.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 178
Back