JohnLundgren'sPlansCollection

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Personally, I'd rather send the $20 to you/the EAA project fundraiser in exchange for having 40 (60?) of those pages scanned into the HBA archive.

Requested donation rate per page (50 cents per page? A dollar?)
The problem is that (assuming that the same number of HBA people participate in either scheme) if I used your math, it works out to far less money in the build project.

If there are in fact exactly1,000 desirable decent quality drawings in this box, and let's say HBA members will actually want half of them enough to release the moths from their wallet, that's 500 sell-able drawings.

With my original scheme, that creates $10K in gross revenue, minus envelopes and stamps.
With your first idea ($20 for 40 drawings scanned) it would result in $250 in gross revenue.
With your second idea ($.050-$1.00 per scanned page) it would result in between $250 and $500 gross revenue.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The problem is that (assuming that the same number of HBA people participate in either scheme) if I used your math, it works out to far less money in the build project.
Yes, true. Of course my numbers were just proctologically extracted, but I agree there would probably be few folks willing to part with $20 to have one page scanned and added to the archives.
It is hard to know what scheme would net the most for your project, do the most good overall, and be the best use of your time.

Last edited:

Hephaestus

I view the nightmare of logistics personally.

If it was me, i'd open up a patreon - scan / upload one a day, 5-50$/month. Then you can get a full months scanned, ready to upload over a weekend and no epic daily battle / need to sort / catalogue. If it's over a thousand pages - that's likely 3 years of revenue available to you.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
So create an archive for a lot more time money and effort or sell plans one-off.
Like everything else in this world "money talks", if there are enough people to want to start an archive then start pooling the money and buy the plans, $20 a plan is cheap, of course multiply times a thousand and add to that what it is going to cost to archive. Still if we start now we may be able to cherry pick for the archive and let the rest die.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Edit: comment deleted. I was upset about something else and was needlessly harsh.

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

On the subject of stashes of three views, I have copies of a collection of 200. They’re all relatively small format and each fits on 8.5 x 11 paper but they’re historically interesting and IIRC largely British. If I scanned them would somebody host them?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I was going to comment on McRae's comment, but I see he has already thought twice about it. The profit I was chasing was for our EAA chapter build. The idea of floating it out on this forum was to see if there was a good reaction, bad, or ho-hum. What I've seen so far is ho-hum, so that's a pretty important data point.