Quantcast

JohnLundgren'sPlansCollection

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

David L. Downey

VB, I also would like to know what plans for full scale aircraft are there. I have a large colection as well and they are endlessly useful for synthesizing a design solution from looking at how all previous art was done!
To second an earlier post, I have ahd extremely god luck with my local Staples for scanning large format. usually about a dollar a sheet (but once it was 3.48 per sheet!)

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I thank everyone for their support and interest.
The 1,000 pages of print are in the mail to Victor Bravo
George Lundgren
That's great. And a fine man he is, too. I've always thought so, and told everyone. Generous, helpful, generous, well, I just can't say enough good things about my good friend, VB. :)

berridos

Having a plans repository in the forum as a separate section, would be a great resource for the HBA comunity. However dont know how copyrights work for airplane plans.
Even a section where we could upload special solutions to concrete problems. How many times did we search for bellcrank setups posted here by Boku for example.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Do we start a fund to get VB a large format scanner (or big staples gift card) so they can be digitized and preserved? :)
I have a large-format scanner and would be very happy to scan and touch up the images.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Even a section where we could upload special solutions to concrete problems. How many times did we search for bellcrank setups posted here by Boku for example.
Yes, the copyright issues might be thorny. It would be great, though, to see example of many of the common structures and solutions. Control mixers for V-tails, a few examples of various types of landing gear, layup schedules composite wings or gear legs, etc.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Well it is nuts to format 1,000 plans or duplicate or etc., in some kind of ridicules time frame as it would be a full time job. A comprehensive list is a job. Then in the end you may have only a few plans that are widely accepted as viable and the rest are archives. So maybe a pay as you go kind of a thing, get some of the more obvious (if any) choices listed first to see if they will pay for there own archival as well as that of a few others and at least pay VB something, I doubt if he is doing this for the money but doing it for nothing is another can of worms altogether. I sold copies of some plans I had a while back and if I remember about $120.000 was break even doing the copies at Staples (this included some old pictures and articles on the construction in addition to the plans I felt relevant) and the tubes for mailing and the mailing and a couple bucks for gas throwing my time in for free. So without proper analysis of what it is going to cost in time and money this becomes an Alligator farm quickly. You know how many can you do for a modest profit vs how many you can do out of pocket. Bottom line free ain't free.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
And lets not forget Mrs. VB!
Oh, she'll be fine with it...

I have no idea what I'm going to do with all of it. Like many of you, I just couldn't let it go into the trash without seeing what is there, and making some effort to find homes for whatever it is. But if it is a stack of faded, glue-soaked and pin-holed plans for the 16 inch Guillows outdoor rubber models found in every non-hobby toy store in the 1970's.... I make no promises.

There are already a lot of services that sell old plans, and laser cut parts, "short kits" etc. etc. So I doubt I'm really going to be able to offer something that much different or better than any of the people already doing it, unless there is some truly rare or important model plan in this collection. All of the well known stuff many of us grew up reading about (Korda Wakefield, Sal Taibi's Powerhouse, all the Zaic gliders, Sig Witch Doctor, etc.), is already out there and available. The weird stuff that would be rare (Wolff-Pak Toad... the uglier Q-500 class racer, M.E.N Trainer) is only because me or someone I know had one and it means something personally.

If there's a set of Andrews Aeromaster plans in there, they're going up on my wall framed... and tough (#*$ to you :)

Anything having to do with Spitfires or inter-war Fairey biplanes is already spoken for, my oldest friend in the world (and master modeler) would never speak to me again if I didn't send that stuff to him.

If there's a giant scale Pou Du Ciel model plan... my sense of honor will force me to offer them to Matthew or Koen.

For the full-size E-AB plans, I'm as curious as the rest of you to see what's there.

In general, I'm a greedy capitalist pig with horns and a tail, and would cheerfully extort the last dime from each and every living creature on Earth... to fund my aviation addiction. Some of that horrid behavior may come shining through with this stuff, so feel free to cower in fear of that.

However, truth be told, I doubt that there is enough profit to be had in this to fund a Focke-Wulf D-9 purchase. So I anticipate there being equal parts of bartering, trading, loaning, and perhaps even (gasp) occasional gifting.

Obviously this is all total hot air until there is some sort of a list.

Last edited:

Bill-Higdon

Oh, she'll be fine with it...

I have no idea what I'm going to do with all of it. Like many of you, I just couldn't let it go into the trash without seeing what is there, and making some effort to find homes for whatever it is. But if it is a stack of faded, glue-soaked and pin-holed plans for the 16 inch Guillows outdoor rubber models found in every non-hobby toy store in the 1970's.... I make no promises.

There are already a lot of services that sell old plans, and laser cut parts, "short kits" etc. etc. So I doubt I'm really going to be able to offer something that much different or better than any of the people already doing it, unless there is some truly rare or important model plan in this collection. All of the well known stuff many of us grew up reading about (Korda Wakefield, Sal Taibi's Powerhouse, all the Zaic gliders, Sig Witch Doctor, etc.), is already out there and available. The weird stuff that would be rare (Wolff-Pak Toad... the uglier Q-500 class racer, M.E.N Trainer) is only because me or someone I know had one and it means something personally.

If there's a set of Andrews Aeromaster plans in there, they're going up on my wall framed... and tough (#*$ to you :)

Anything having to do with Spitfires or inter-war Fairey biplanes is already spoken for, my oldest friend in the world (and master modeler) would never speak to me again if I didn't send that stuff to him.

If there's a giant scale Pou Du Ciel model plan... my sense of honor will force me to offer them to Matthew or Koen.

For the full-size E-AB plans, I'm as curious as the rest of you to see what's there.

In general, I'm a greedy capitalist pig with horns and a tail, and would cheerfully extort the last dime from each and every living creature on Earth... to fund my aviation addiction. Some of that horrid behavior may come shining through with this stuff, so feel free to cower in fear of that.

However, truth be told, I doubt that there is enough profit to be had in this to fund a Focke-Wulf D-9 purchase. So I anticipate there being equal parts of bartering, trading, loaning, and perhaps even (gasp) occasional gifting.

Obviously this is all total hot air until there is some sort of a list.
Yes the old "I'll be ""FINE"" with it"

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Let me know if you come across plans for a Keil Kraft Invader or a Super Sinbad or a Denny Jr...........

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
So... I have good news, and bad news, and perhaps good news.

The good news is that I received the box of "aircraft plans" yesterday from George Lundgren. His late father, Mr. John Lundgren, was indeed an avid collector, and his son's estimate of there being a thousand plans here is probably accurate. George's post indicating that his father made this a lifetime hobby is clearly correct... this is easily half a century of diligent collecting, from someone who truly loved airplanes.

The bad news is that the box was 12 x 9 x 6 inches. Any and all hopes of there being rolled up blueprints, large sheets, etc. were dashed before my pocket knife came out to open the tape on the box.

The "plans" are mostly very good quality detailed three-views, that were copied from the model airplane magazines... from the days when people would scratchbuild a model from detailed drawings. There are many many truly great aircraft detail drawings, a large number drawn by William Wylam (world famous for these drawings) and other highly talented draftsmen.

They're all photocopies of the pages of 8 1/2 x 11 size old model magazines.

I managed to look at about a hundred of them, before my wife reminded me that Sunday was family day, not "Oh look, another airplane-related activity" day.

I did not see ANY plans for model airplanes. No Astro-Hog, no Live Wire Champ, no Pacific Ace, no Taibi Powerhouse (sound of sniveling).

I did not see ANY construction plans for homebuilt airplanes. No full-size or reduced size drawings for the Pitts, the Fly Baby, the Cassutt, O'Neill Magnum, etc. (sound of sniveling)

All of these drawings were for reference, research, and for aircraft modelers to build a scale model of a full-size aircraft.

However, there are hundreds of fantastic treasures here, because a large number of these are drawings of airplanes that are rare, nearly unheard-of, and "Wow, I never even heard of that one!". Any researcher or person interested in oddball airplanes, or interested in warbird replicas, etc. will see value here. Detailed drawings of the Bell Airacuda, the Bristol FB-2, a Boulton-Paul that I'd never even heard of, a forward swept flying wing "fuel tank glider" I never heard of, the Bowlus motorglider version of the Albatross... just one magnificent treasure after another.

Making even a basic list of all these is going to be a significant project, and take a lot of time. I signed up for some of that by offering to accept these, and I would like to make good on that. But I'm dang well not going to quit a paying job (or a tolerant wife) to do this. But again (on balance), my heart is in this a fair amount, there's a lot of history here that will at least not be totally lost if I can find homes for these.

And then it hit me, like a giant rolling pin from a jealous wife (who had just watched Moe Howard whack Curly with the giant rolling pin on TV)... what if I made this into a fundraiser for our EAA chapter's Zenith 750 build project ! What if someone got the 1948 3-view drawing of the Boeing XL-15 liaison aircraft (before it was renamed the YL-15), and instead of buying it they made a charitable donation to our EAA chapter's building program... the donation would be tax deductible, the kids aircraft building project would be funded, and I would look like far less of a greedy son of a b**** ?

A great big smile took over my face, like Mickey Rooney telling Judy Garland that they might be able to raise the money by putting on a show! (some of you younger guys won't get that, sorry, I know far too many old movie plots)

But unlike Mickey and Judy, I need to know ahead of time that this idea is something that people would want to support with green cash - If I asked for a $20 tax-deductible charitable donation to the chapter kids building program, in return for a detail drawing of an airplane you were interested in (which would include the postage to get it to you), would you write the check and send it out?

berridos

the detail drawings would be a valuable resource for the forum. We could send the box to india or china and let them scan and share the cost))

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
That sounds like it might work.
Personally, I'd rather send the $20 to you/the EAA project fundraiser in exchange for having 40 (60?) of those pages scanned into the HBA archive. Have the kids do the scanning and they are helping to earn the supplies used in their project. You don't need to mess with envelopes and mailing, I am receiving nothing of value so the IRS won't get out their green eyeshades, everybody here gets to see and make use of those plans, and the kids get to help AND see drawings of a bunch of old (model) airplanes while they work.
Or, to reduce your hassle with the kids, just collect money to have the plans scanned.
Lots of possibilities. Requested donation rate per page (50 cents per page? A dollar?) Donor picks the models to be scanned or you pick the pages to be scanned? Keep a notice on the HBA archive page/thread with an ongoing request for voluntary donations to the EAA chapter build fund when folks download the plans in the future? Etc.
Obviously, this all assumes that scanning and distributing these materials is legal.
Anyway, my two cents, er... twenty bucks, worth. As I said, I think your idea would work, too.

Last edited: