JMR SPecial project. My design.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

Log Member
Posting the fuel flow test. When I built the hanger I welded in a HD hook down in the 12" dia floor drain steel pipe. Chained the tail down with the tie down ring to 18 deg with the digital level.
I used 1/4" dia fuel lines on the VW powered SSSC and it had a fuel flow of 15 gph. Using the Cont C-85 on the JMR, but also wanted the fuel lines to take a Cont -200 fuel flow if I ever wanted to go to the 100 hp, 0-200. So I needed to step up the size of the fuel lines for more flow. Could have went to the 5/16" dia lines but there is a lot of fitting that you can't get in 5/16" so I went to the 3/8" dia fuel lines. I had all the alum lines and fitting that I needed from the Bearhawk project. Little over kill but easy to find any fitting that you might need.

I used a stop watch and timed the flow for 30 seconds. Flow for 30 seconds was 42 ounces. That is a fuel flow of 39.375 GPH.
FAA required a fuel flow of 150% higher that the WOT fuel burn of your engine. The WOT fuel burn for the C-85 by the Continental Maintenance and Overhaul Manual is 7.8 gph. Fuel flow for a bigger engines will not be a problem for sure. :) PIC038.JPGPIC044.JPGPIC045.JPG

Pops

Log Member
Been going over everything while I have more time. No use in calling for the inspection for a while the way things are at this time. Re-checked the timing today just to make sure it as close as I can get it. The C-85 is a little different in the timing , one mag is set at 28 deg and the other at 30 deg. Don't want to get them mixed up.
Also check the compression on the new MOH engine. #2 is little lower than the rest of the cylinders but the engine hasn't been ran since the overhaul. We will see after a few hours. I have had my lowest cylinder become my best after a few hours of hard running. I always go by Cont's manual in the breaking in the engine and have never had any problems.
Was thinking of pulling it out of the hanger today and doing the first run on the engine, but the winds was forecast for 25 mph winds, so I'll wait for a better day. Was 80 degs a few days ago and now below freezing in the morning. What the high winds were about. Our grid electric have been off two different times in the last week due to the high winds. That is when I love the solar system.

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Called the local FAA FSDO office and got a recording that everyone is working at home. Had a home number to call. Talked to a nice lady that told me they don't know when they will be back in the office and going out in the fields . Said that she thinks at least 2 to 3 more weeks. Told me that maybe I should try a DAR. No DAR's in this state and several hundreds of mile to one. So she gave me the inspectors email address and told me that I need to email him and try to get on his list of all the backed up work he need to do when he can get back to the office.
I have all the required papers filled out ( 8030-6, 8030-12, 8030-3 and Program Letter, pictures , W&B , etc ).
So hopefully I can get my inspection in the pipeline for work he needs to do when gets back to the office. Been building on the airplane for 10 years so 2 or 3 more months is nothing.
I took pictures this morning for the picture to send. They want 3 pictures.

Danthumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (3).jpgthumbnail (5).jpg

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
It's alive ! It's alive! Tied the JMR down outside and ran the engine for the first time since MOH on the engine. Didn't want to idle, think I will have to take the carb back off and check the idle passage in the carb for anything that I missed. Cont book says to run it for 10 minutes at 900 rpm for the first time . Has a list of run time and rpm's until the first flight. Left, rear valve cover pan gasket need attention with a small oil leak. Good to hear it run.

Pops

Log Member
First taxi test today. Grass and clay runway finally dried out enough to mow yesterday. In the taxi test the airplane tracked straight with the rudder pedals in line with each other and with the rudder in neutral. The Matco brakes worked great. Taxied fast enough to get the nose wheel off with the elevator at full up, about 30 mph. Also got a little faster and the main landing gear started unloading and then I backed off. Did that 2 times. All with no flaps down. Everything feels very good. Engine pressure and temps looks good. Lots of power for the weight. I had 6 gallon of fuel in each wing tank and my 235 lbs for a total of 987 lbs of total weight. That is power loading of 11.61 lbs per HP. Had the cowl off setting the idle mixture and adjusted the idle rpm up a little and looking for any oil leaks. Everything is great.

Attachments

Last edited: