JMR SPecial project. My design.

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by Pops, Aug 21, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 3, 2019 #181

Pops

Pops

Pops

Received the EAA Flight Test Manual and the Test Card Book. These are very good and well organized. If you are doing the test flying for a homebuilt I recommend this manual and test cards. Total of 18 test cards and good information on how to do the test flying for each card.

Attached Files:

Topaz, cdlwingnut, flyinut and 5 others like this.
  2. Nov 9, 2019 #182

Pops

Pops

Pops

With the SS exhaust system finished including the SS carb heat box and the brace that runs from the tailpipe to tailpipe with the center connected to the engine to keep the lower pipes from vibrating and cracks forming at slightly below the flange. Just like on the exhaust system on the Cont -0-200 in the Cessna 150. Cut the holes for the exhaust pipes to come down through the lower cowl. Lower pipe on the left side slightly longer, need to trim to match.
    Now the lower cowl is ready for the final paint, and install the baffling silicon rubber seals around the top of the engine.
    Need to install placards for both fuel valves, etc, and install the N numbers.

Attached Files:

jmt1991, Topaz, Joe Fisher and 5 others like this.
  3. Nov 11, 2019 #183

Pops

Pops

Pops

I'm getting to the end of the build. As soon as I get it inspected, then what do I do beside the flying. Love working out in the shop in the hanger with the wood stove burning and snowing outside with the radio on. I have to have something to do or I'll go bat - A*S crazy. I started a VW pipe buggy to run on the hundreds or miles of back dirt and gravel and logging roads in this state. You can go half way across the state on all the back roads. But after its finished , I have to start another airplane. I can buy the SSSC project that my son and I was building that he sold. The buyer is in his 80's and will sell it back. I just started a thread about designing a VW powered sailplane. Then there is the BeetleMaster, etc, etc. I have to start another airplane before long, the question is, what one.
    When I finished the SSSC, it was a big let down, Withdrawn symptoms big time. Been building THINGS all of my life and to old to stop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    akwrencher, Himat, cheapracer and 8 others like this.
  4. Nov 12, 2019 #184

Pops

Pops

Pops

Made stainless steel heat shield for the upper part of the exhaust stacks for the front 2 cylinders where the exhaust pipes are closest to the fiberglass cowl. Will install with SS hose clamps.

Attached Files:

Joe Fisher, delta and jmt1991 like this.
  5. Nov 14, 2019 #185

Pops

Pops

Pops

Installed the radiate heat shields on the front 2 cylinder exhaust pipes. Should help.
    Made from left over stainless steel firwall material.

Attached Files:

6. Nov 22, 2019 #186

Pops

Pops

Pops

Checked my new scales with some known weights and it came out good. Old scales went in the trash. Empty weight is 680 lbs, with a GW of 1100 lbs. Did all the W&B as required by the FAA including the test flight W&B. Came out very good. Empty CG, most froward CG , most Rearward CG, and test flight CG. With my weight and full fuel and max baggage the CG is at a comfortable margin forward of the rear limit. Happy Camper.
    I still need to calibrate the gallons of fuel on the sight fuel gauges at the wing roots yet, and do the fuel flow test.
    The fuel flow test is the first card on the test program and it will be my first entry . 18 cards and I don't see how you could do each card and not have over 30 hrs of flying in the test program. I'll be putting a camera with audio over my left shoulder facing the instrument panel and recording everything.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    akwrencher, delta, jmt1991 and 7 others like this.
  7. Nov 30, 2019 at 7:24 PM #187

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yesterday I pulled the nose of the fuselage up with the hoist until the tail tie down ring hit the floor. That gave me a 15 deg angle for the fuselage. Dropped a plum bob down to the axle. The forward CG limit is over the axle when the fuselage is at the max angle on the ground of 15 degs. In designing, I put the LG axle at 46.9 % of the cord of the wing.
    With me (235 lbs and full fuel the CG is at 27%. CG envelope is 23% to 30%. I can have 50 lbs in the baggage area and still be at 29% so the baggage area is placarded for " max weight of 50 lbs, check CG" . 50 lbs is a lot for the small area unless you are using lead or concrete.

I think the placement of the LG will be OK for weight off the nose gear, I should be able to lift the nose gear off the runway at the correct amount below the stall speed. Will find out for sure in starting the test flying in the taxi stage.
    EW of 680 lbs
    My weight of 235 lbs
    Full fuel of 100 lbs
    Max baggage of 50 lbs
    Total weight of 1065 lbs with a GW of 1100 lbs.

fly2kads, jmt1991, cdlwingnut and 8 others like this.