JMR SPecial project. My design.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

Log Member
Received the EAA Flight Test Manual and the Test Card Book. These are very good and well organized. If you are doing the test flying for a homebuilt I recommend this manual and test cards. Total of 18 test cards and good information on how to do the test flying for each card.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
With the SS exhaust system finished including the SS carb heat box and the brace that runs from the tailpipe to tailpipe with the center connected to the engine to keep the lower pipes from vibrating and cracks forming at slightly below the flange. Just like on the exhaust system on the Cont -0-200 in the Cessna 150. Cut the holes for the exhaust pipes to come down through the lower cowl. Lower pipe on the left side slightly longer, need to trim to match.
Now the lower cowl is ready for the final paint, and install the baffling silicon rubber seals around the top of the engine.
Need to install placards for both fuel valves, etc, and install the N numbers.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
I'm getting to the end of the build. As soon as I get it inspected, then what do I do beside the flying. Love working out in the shop in the hanger with the wood stove burning and snowing outside with the radio on. I have to have something to do or I'll go bat - A*S crazy. I started a VW pipe buggy to run on the hundreds or miles of back dirt and gravel and logging roads in this state. You can go half way across the state on all the back roads. But after its finished , I have to start another airplane. I can buy the SSSC project that my son and I was building that he sold. The buyer is in his 80's and will sell it back. I just started a thread about designing a VW powered sailplane. Then there is the BeetleMaster, etc, etc. I have to start another airplane before long, the question is, what one.
When I finished the SSSC, it was a big let down, Withdrawn symptoms big time. Been building THINGS all of my life and to old to stop.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Checked my new scales with some known weights and it came out good. Old scales went in the trash. Empty weight is 680 lbs, with a GW of 1100 lbs. Did all the W&B as required by the FAA including the test flight W&B. Came out very good. Empty CG, most froward CG , most Rearward CG, and test flight CG. With my weight and full fuel and max baggage the CG is at a comfortable margin forward of the rear limit. Happy Camper.
I still need to calibrate the gallons of fuel on the sight fuel gauges at the wing roots yet, and do the fuel flow test.
The fuel flow test is the first card on the test program and it will be my first entry . 18 cards and I don't see how you could do each card and not have over 30 hrs of flying in the test program. I'll be putting a camera with audio over my left shoulder facing the instrument panel and recording everything.

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Yesterday I pulled the nose of the fuselage up with the hoist until the tail tie down ring hit the floor. That gave me a 15 deg angle for the fuselage. Dropped a plum bob down to the axle. The forward CG limit is over the axle when the fuselage is at the max angle on the ground of 15 degs. In designing, I put the LG axle at 46.9 % of the cord of the wing.
With me (235 lbs and full fuel the CG is at 27%. CG envelope is 23% to 30%. I can have 50 lbs in the baggage area and still be at 29% so the baggage area is placarded for " max weight of 50 lbs, check CG" . 50 lbs is a lot for the small area unless you are using lead or concrete.

I think the placement of the LG will be OK for weight off the nose gear, I should be able to lift the nose gear off the runway at the correct amount below the stall speed. Will find out for sure in starting the test flying in the taxi stage.
EW of 680 lbs
My weight of 235 lbs
Full fuel of 100 lbs
Max baggage of 50 lbs
Total weight of 1065 lbs with a GW of 1100 lbs.

Pops

Log Member
Cold rain and snowy day. Spending time in the shop in the hanger. Turned the NG furnace down and fired up the wood burning stove. Makes me want to take a nap on the couch watching the flames through the glass door. Worked a little on the W&B. The JMR can take a 320 lb pilot with full fuel and no baggage for a GW of 1100 lbs. The CG is at 28.3 % with a rear CG limit at 30%. Biggest person I have found to set in it is a local man that is 6'x5" and 285 lbs. Said he was very comfortable. Good leg room and knee room, lots of head room and good room for his hips and shoulders. Have two grandsons that are 6'x4" and 5" at 250 lbs and they had good room.

Pops

Log Member
Tired for filling and sanding on the lower cowl. Called it good. Will not be the best, but good enough for me, I hate sanding. Maybe have time to paint in a few days. Sometimes I enjoy painting and sometimes not.

Just thinking, I'll be 80 years old in August. Would be nice to fly off the 40 hr test time on my birthday. Don't want to wait that long for the first flight.

When I get tired of working on the JMR, I switch over to the mud buggy. Haven't decided to just run it on the back private logging roads or put it on the road with license plates. For the mud-- Tall rough mud tires and wheels, for the street -- short wide street tires and wheels. The front and rear suspension is 1973 VW Bug. Have enough engine parts for a 1600 or1835 cc engine.

Attachments

Pops

Log Member
Have the lower cowling ready to paint. Tired of block sanding. What I get, is what I get. Will be painting the light gray and then put the blue and white stripes on. This cowl is heavier than I wanted. Maybe sometime in the future I can use this cowl to make a mold and make a lighter one. The shape is growing on me, so if I make a new cowl it will be the same shape. Sort of matches the rest of the airplane.
Just sprayed some rattle can sandable primer on some spots where I was sanding.

DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

Pops

Log Member
DSCF0007.JPG DSCF0008.JPG DSCF0011.JPG Yesterday was a good day for painting. Normally I keep the temp in my heated hanger at about 65 degs for a nice temp while being active working in the winter.
I painted the bottom of the cowl and after about 8 hrs transferred it to BS room. Yep, BS/ office/ transit sleeping/ Doghouse room. I have a little extra NG heater ( widow maker) in the room, so I turned the heat up to 90 degs to fully cure the epoxy paint. Checked today and looks good. Going to leave it in the 90 deg room until tomorrow. Then put the bottom and top cowl on the JMR and mask for the blue and white strips.

Dallas and Ivan are the teachers and I'm just a bad student.

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
DSCF0013.JPG DSCF0014.JPG DSCF0017.JPG DSCF0018.JPG Mounted the cowl on the airplane. Don't want to forget to paint the fuel tanks covers under the bottom of the wing when I paint the white and blue strips on the cowl. Then the painting will be done. :)
I stripped and painted my Ercoupe back in the middle of the 1970's and said I would never do another. Never say Never.

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Finished the trim. Turned the heat up in the hanger and had it to 85 degs, so no problem with the paint, snowing outside. Now on to other things. Rubber seal around the engine baffling, removing the carb and checking the float level, making the Owners Manual and installing the data plate.

DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG

Pops

Log Member
I finished the aluminum baffling that I formed to run down under the prop flange and extension to stop any air leak. So this week, I'll install the rubber seals on the baffling.
Few pictures of the engine instillation. Notice the aluminum spacers between the engine mount and engine. When working out the length of the engine mount to put the W&B where I wanted, I forgot to include the 50 lb baggage weight. So I had to move the engine forward a little. I thought I made a mistake one time, but I didn't. :)

DSCF0042.JPG DSCF0039.JPG DSCF0038.JPG DSCF0034.JPG

Pops

Log Member
Finally ran the brake lines down the LG leg to Matco brakes. Used the 1/4" dia nylon lines from AS. Rated at 2500 psi and the specs on the brakes says the max fluid will be a little under 500 psi. I used the same brake lines on the SSSC in 2007 and never any problems. Pictures of the wooden lift that was in an article in Kitplanes a few months ago. I really like it , can lift the wheel off the ground in about 2 seconds. I added to the lift height so the scales would go under the wheels for the W&B. Simple and works very well.
I'll be putting new tires on before the inspection.

DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0019.JPG DSCF0007.JPG DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0008.JPG

Pops

Log Member
Rubber seal around the baffling finished and brakes bled. Only thing left is doing the fuel flow test and marking the gallons on the Piper style sight fuel gauges and I need to check the float level in the carb.
DSCF0007.JPG DSCF0009.JPG DSCF0010.JPG

Pops

Log Member
Everything finished except for the fuel flow test and the data plate. Took it outside to take a picture for the front of the Owners Operating Manual. Wouldn't you know my good digital camera decided to retire and I used a crappy $34 digital camera that has a book of pages of instructions on how to use.
I'll pick one of these pictures for the front cover.

PIC011.JPG PIC012.JPG PIC013.JPG PIC014.JPG PIC015.JPG PIC016.JPG PIC017.JPG

Pops

Log Member
laying out fuselage sides-2.JPG laying out fuselage sides-3.JPG
Been a long time since laying out the fuselage as in the picture. Its been fun in every way.
I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE OF YOU FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT WITH YOUR "LIKES".
Great group of people on his site and everyone is wanting to help people out in any way they can. Saying " LIKE" means a Lot. Its saying, I like what you are doing, and I'm behind you in every way. If anyone has a question on this site, everyone jumps in and tries to help in any way they can.
I'm saying "THANK YOU" for being YOU.

Now after the FAA inspection, its starting a new chapter with the test flying. I have the EAA's Test Flying Program, and I plan on going through every one of the test cards. Its going to be fun. Before I can began, my bi-annual is out and I need to get it done. Hoping my Grandson will fly over from Ohio to give it to me if the weather will give us a break.

I'll report my finding and any problems. I'm not in any rush because of the weather. At this time the runway is very soft. Of the 3200', only the lower end of about 300' towards the river is not clay. The clay is muck when wet and like a brick when dry.

Dan R.

Group Builder