JMR SPecial project. My design.

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by Pops, Aug 21, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1

Pops

Pops

Pops

Building an aircraft of my design, JMR Special. Single place, LSA, for a large pilot of 6' 4" x 250 lbs. GW- 1050 lbs, WE-600 lbs, Wing span-28', Wing area- 109 ft2, Steel tube fuselage , Wood wings with flaps,(working on designing an aluminum set of wings). Airfoil-- 2413. Majoring the C-85-12F engine for it.
    It has a little of the Tailwind look. Trying to made it as easy to build as possible.

Just having fun. Dan

Attached Files:

blane.c, Dmitry_SPb, dcstrng and 3 others like this.
  2. Aug 21, 2013 #2

Pops

Pops

Pops

More pictures of the JMR Special. Will have wing fuel tanks for a total of 20 gal.
    Dan

Attached Files:

3. Aug 24, 2013 #3

Pops

Pops

Pops

Worked today in assembling the experimental Cont-85-12F engine for the JMR. Will not be using an electrial system. Just a 5 amp battery for a handheld com and gps. Picture of the C-85 engine. Dan

Attached Files:

FritzW and Joe Fisher like this.
  4. Sep 11, 2013 #4

Pops

Pops

Pops

More pictures. Hope to start the wings when the cold winter snow is blowing. Dan

Attached Files:

FritzW, Joe Fisher, Vipor_GG and 2 others like this.
  5. Nov 25, 2013 #5

Pops

Pops

Pops

I got the engine together today. All the ribs are made and the spars are ordered for the wings and they should be here in a couple of days, so I will be starting to assemble the wings shortly.
    Pictures of the C-85-12F with the starter and generator removed. I did clean and polished the inside of the carb spider and the intake elbows for less restricted flow. Not really a major overhaul. This was a mid-time engine off a Cessna 140 and I balance the rods and pistons, honed the cylinders with new valve guides and valves, valve springs and rings. All new main and thrust bearing, rod bearings. Measured everything for wear. All new gasket, seal and rubbers. All new bolts and nuts for the complete engine. Both Slick mags just have 200 hrs on them. Have to overhaul the carb yet. Also plan on making a custom aluminum oil tank to save weight. The heavy brass crankcase fitting on the front right of the engine weights 5.1 oz. Ordered a replacement in aluminum to save most of that weight . Dan

Attached Files:

6. Dec 1, 2013 #6

Pops

Pops

Pops

I finished up the baggage compartment storage box. It has a door in 1/2 of the bottom to inspect the controls and to install a battery if I need for W&B. Couldn't make it any wider because of the pushrod for the flaps that will be coming up each side. Also couldn't make it any deeper and still remove it. One bite at a time. Dan R.

Attached Files:

Joe Fisher, Autodidact and Vipor_GG like this.
  7. Jan 9, 2014 #7

Pops

Pops

Pops

Been working on running the fuel lines. I have two fuel outlets from each tank wing fuel tank, one in the inside rear and the other on the inside front. Nose up or nose down you can't un-port a fuel pickup. Have the lines coming together then a valve for each side. I have the same system in my little single place Super Cub and I like it.
    Ran out of the correct fittings so had to order more. Just like a plumbing job, you need the whole store because there is always something you need and don't have.
    I'll work on the Bearhawk until the parts arrive. Dan

Attached Files:

Wayne, dcarr, Joe Fisher and 5 others like this.
  8. Jan 22, 2014 #8

Pops

Pops

Pops

Made the elevator cables today. Also picture of the fuel line that goes to the rear wing fuel tank pick-up.
    Dan

Attached Files:

dcarr, Joe Fisher, spduffee and 2 others like this.
  9. Feb 5, 2014 #9

Pops

Pops

Pops

Today I found the amount of weight of lead I need for the elevator counter-balance. 2 lbs- 2 oz per side. Now I need to temporary tack some light metal on the elevator counter-balance area to hold the molten lead as I pour it. When I am finished, I will post pictures. Dan

10. Feb 5, 2014 #10

Pops

Pops

Pops

I finished pouring the lead for the elevator counter weight. C-clamped some scrap .032 steel on each side and mounted the elevator in a vice, pre-warmed the steel with a torch and poured the lead by melting it with the torch. Also used some scrap metal and made a small funnel. Took 2 lbs and 2 oz for each elevator for a slight over weight allowing for the weight of the paint and fabric. I welded tabs with a 3/16" hole on the inside of the 3/8" tube at the tip of the elevator to lock in the lead weight. Will also drill a hole in the "C" channel rib for a screw. With the lead inside the "C" of the rib, the lead weight will be firmly mounted.
    Another day of fun with the wood burning stove going good and watching it snow all day outside. Dan

Attached Files:

11. Mar 10, 2014 #11

Pops

Pops

Pops

So the fuselage and tail surfaces are ready to cover. I have all the wings parts made except needing to put the plywood doublers on the spars and drill holes to bolt on the fittings. Been making the wing strut ends from 2024-T3 aluminum. I was not firm in my mind about the wing tips, so I decided to go with the Wittman Tailwind type of tips.
    Picture of some of the wing strut fittings. Dan

Attached Files:

Joe Fisher likes this.
  12. Mar 17, 2014 #12

Pops

Pops

Pops

Laying out the location of the ribs on the wing spars and epoxying the plywood doublers. Also making the spar attach straps.
    Wood spars are not cheap. Dan

Attached Files:

13. Mar 25, 2014 #13

Pops

Pops

Pops

Have the plywood doubler on the spars and all of the fittings made. Now to drill the spar for the fitting and epoxy prime all the fittings. After that, I can start putting the wings together. I need to do some arranging in my shop to make room for another build table. I need to start putting the Bearhawk wings spars together at the same time.

Attached Files:

FritzW, Joe Fisher and Vipor_GG like this.
  14. Mar 29, 2014 #14

Pops

Pops

Pops

Drilling spars for fittings. Dan

Attached Files:

Abraham Leket, FritzW and Joe Fisher like this.
  15. Aug 27, 2014 #15

Pops

Pops

Pops

Starting to skin the doors. I sandblasted and epoxy primed the doors last Sat. Will use pulled rivets leftover from the Zenith 601 build. Tomorrow I will work on the alum skins that surrounds the windows. As soon as I get my 1981 Chevy pickup out of the paint booth, I'll be ready to start covering the fuselage and tail surfaces. Need to order some more T-88 and start epoxying the ribs to the main spars that is on the build table. Dan

Attached Files:

PTAirco, akwrencher, FritzW and 5 others like this.
  16. Aug 31, 2014 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

I have the right door finished and just need to put the top aluminum around the window on the left door.
    Dan

Attached Files:

Wayne, akwrencher, Joe Fisher and 2 others like this.
  17. Sep 2, 2014 #17

Pops

Pops

Pops

Finally finished the left door. Had my short wife to try to take some pictures. Lots of room for a large man. I am 6' tall and 225 lbs and feel almost small in the cockpit. I don't know who that old man is that is in the cockpit but he looks like a dead ringer of my grandfather when he was my age :)
    Dan

Attached Files:

18. Sep 3, 2014 #18

Pops

Pops

Pops

More pictures to show the size of the cockpit. If you are 6' 4" X 250 lbs, you will fit. 600 lbs EW with a 1050 lbs GW. I plan on getting the fuselage and tail surfaces covered and the wings assembled this winter.
    Dan

Attached Files:

Joe Fisher, FritzW and Brian Clayton like this.
  19. Sep 8, 2014 #19

Pops

Pops

Pops

Working on the front door post and windshield strip. Using the bead roller with a set of dies to make the step in the aluminum.
    Dan

Attached Files:

dcstrng and Joe Fisher like this.
  20. Sep 8, 2014 #20

Pops

Pops

Pops

Finally starting to put the first wing of the JMR Special together. Will be geodetic construction. These wings are rated at 6.7 G's .

You will also see the 2 Bearhawk projects in the pictures. The Bearhawk beside the work table is mine and the other belongs to an old friend on mine of 40+ years. During the winter we work a couple days a week on our Bearhawks.

Dan

Attached Files: