JMR Special Geodetic Wing Construction

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

Log Member
Think I will completely quit eating. Let me know when Thanksgiving dinner is ready :)

Victor Bravo

If someone can get rid of the old guy and all of the cars and stuff, I really want that great big workshop 😈

Great job on the airplane Pops, looks very well thought out and well done. Looks like a very strong wing.

Is this essentially how Fisher did it on the Koala, or did you modify/improve/customize his wing method into your own version ?

Pops

Log Member
Fisher uses spars with spar caps and plywood web. I also increase the size of the rib material and also the geodetic strips. Also plywood sheeted at the fuel tank area. Different controls. Different compression struts and hardware.
Basically the only thing that is the same is the use of geodetic strips.

Last edited:

narfi

Would it be inappropriate to crack a joke about youtube celebrity wannabees all hopped up on redbull and pixi sticks?
(all in good fun of course)

You have designed a great plane there, and the fisher designs have been tempting me in my choices.

Pops

Log Member
The Fisher airplanes are fun to build and fun to fly. A friend of mine has a Fisher Super Koala almost finished. Using a 2180 cc VW engine.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
That is a beautiful wing. I have just starting to research geodetic construction. Is there a public domain set of plans I could review, or a online resource someone could point me to?

Pops

Log Member
We have talked about it on this site. Also, the EAA has a book on Woodworking that has an article on the history of geodetic construction for airplanes. Might me more, but that's all I remember at this time.
Maybe someone else can jump in with some infro.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
The EAA book was a reprint of articles from Sport Aviation. If you are an EAA member you can go through the archives using the search function. There were some drawings left off the reprints in the books.