• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Jet thrust force coupling of expanding gas to airframe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8davebarker

Supporting Member
> I want to build a counter-flow heat exchanger radiator (aka the P-51) radiator that is reputed to provide enough thrust to compensate for the nacelle drag.

> I have a simple but perhaps naive question. In a ramjet base design, how is the force of the heated expanding gas mechanically couple to the frame of the engine /aircraft and the heat exchanger? Does this require a constriction like a Venturi in the tube? I.e is mechanical force coupled only to the difference in the annular area of the Venturi? Or is their some mechanism I am not understanding? Does the heat exchanger in the. P-51 nacelle have a constriction or rely some kind of "S" shaped offset jog between the nacelle opening input and its output that couples a net thrust to the air frame?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 11
Back