Jet fuel rotary?

Discussion in 'Mazda Rotary' started by Reg LeBlanc, Dec 24, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 24, 2011 #1

Reg LeBlanc

Reg LeBlanc

Reg LeBlanc

Does anyone know if a rotary engine will run on jet fuel? ....................Reg

2. Dec 24, 2011 #2

Lucrum

Lucrum

Lucrum

So far as I know it would not, at least not without extensive modifications.

3. Dec 24, 2011 #3

orion

orion

orion

Several companies have been working on diesel and multi-fuel versions of the rotary but as far as I know, none have made it to the consumer level yet. In each case though, the engines are significantly different from the typical Mazda type that common parts are unlikely.

4. Dec 25, 2011 #4

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

its been spoken of before that a rotary doesn't have the combustion chamber shape that will promote diesel or low octane slow burn based fuels.
    though a rotary should run well on hydrogen.

5. Jan 3, 2012 #5

Reg LeBlanc

Reg LeBlanc

Reg LeBlanc

Thanks guys. I was hoping to here that with the high amount of naptha in jet fuel, it might burn with a high degree of reliability in a rotary engine........Reg

6. Jun 25, 2012 #6

Southron

Southron

Southron

Austro Engines have developed and now manufacture two different types of light aircraft engines. [A] Rotary Engines and A Piston Engine that burn Jet fuel.

My point is that apparently the company did some research on developing a rotary engine that burned jet fuel but in the end, went with a piston design. Check them out:

Home

7. Jul 11, 2012 #7

KeithO

KeithO

KeithO

Austro engines used to be Midwest Rotary. Midwest were actually producing these engines in the early 2000's and when bought out by Diamond the disappearance of the engines caused the failure of several airplanes in Development including the Swiss Aceair and I believe the Solo.
    Aeriks_a-200.jpg
    Quote from Wiki:
    Aceair ceased operation in 2004, and with it the Aeriks 200 project was cancelled. Ths was principally due to Diamond Engines cancelling the manufacture of the rotary engine the 200 was based around. Some assets of the company were purchased by a pair of entrepreneurs, and so the Aeriks 200 may eventually see commercial launch someday.

I was just about to order one at the time, the engines had very good power to weight ratio and should have been more reliable than a 2 stroke. Meanwhile, Diamonds priorities have constantly shifted and on the engine side most of the work was to dig itself out the hole created by Thielert. So if that had not happened, maybe the rotaries would have been brought back to the market years ago.

I think Diamond felt like it was being raped by Rotax (as does everyone else) and possibly thought they could get a competitive advantage at the bottom edge of the market with the rotaries. It would be great if they would get it together, but I fear that outside sales prices will be market driven thus no better than anything comparable in power.

8. Jul 3, 2013 #8

lehanover

lehanover

lehanover

Hebron Ohio in summer. Zephyrhills Florida in wint
    Mistral had one running just fine on Jet-A. They are now back in business working on the gas version trying to get it cirtfied. Rotaries run well on very low octane fuels. In normally aspirated form they resist detonation with a long cold combustion chamber. Boosted rotaries act more like piston engines as far as detonation goes. Lynn E. Hanover