• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Jenny #2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyranch

Okay, here we go.

I started dragging out parts for the second 7/8 (actually about a 3/4) Jenny in anticipation of beginning construction. I had considered putting this in the 'project log' section, but then you would not be able to make comments or ask questions. Trust me, I want your comments. I also considered putting it in the tube and fabric section, but, since it is an ultralight (and the majority of the site is GA), I thought it best to keep it in the ultralight section for purity sake.

Jenny #1 ended up being a few pounds (actually, a few pounds) heavy and I would like to get this one (and the #1 bird when I recover it) under true ultralight weight. I will try to include the weights during the entire process in order to encourage all of you to advise if the weight is starting to get out of hand.

Jenny #1 was covered with 4 ounce material and has 7 coats of latex (black, white, then color) which added lots of weight. The engine is a Hirth which is a little heavier than the Cuyuna. I also was not very careful with the minor 'additions' of panels and comforts that I wanted and that stuff does add up after a while.

I will use 1.7 ounce fabric and less paint on this one. To prevent UV damage, I will make a custom cover to protect it from the sun and elements when not being flown in addition to the UV protection from the paint. I may also leave the turtle deck flat instead of adding the curved pieces that give it the rounded look. I'll start by leaving it off and make the final decision as I get close to covering.

Attached is a picture of the fuselage with part of the rudder sitting on it. The weight is right at 35# for that much of it (it is sitting on the scales in the picture).

So tell me what you think so far.

Attachments

• SUNP0044.jpg
    SUNP0044.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 217
Back