• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Jenny #1 re-covering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyranch

Got Jenny #1 back to the house and started taking off the old skins. I figured this would be a good chance to document and pass along some info to all of you.

Jenny #1 was covered with 4 ounce uncertified dacron with no tapes or rib stitching. Flat black latex was painted on all surfaces (2 coats), then 2 to 4 coats of gloss latex enamel was painted on top of the latex. There were a few areas that ended up with a total of 7 coats. There was no other protection put on the fabric (like Armor-all, etc.). I used either Fabtac or Polytac to attach the fabric (don't remember which). The Jenny sat out in full sunlight with no shade 24/7/365 for about 10 years. It hasn't been flown in the last year or 2 due to mostly unfriendly weather every time I got a chance to fly, oh yeah, and due to 9/11 (when nobody flew).

Now for some post analysis.

Thumb test to the top of the fabric with a great deal of pressure from my 6'1" 240# frame failed to puncture the fabric on the top side that was most exposed to the sun. I did notice that as the years past by that the fabric seemed to get a little looser, though, especially in the corners where I had trouble getting it tight enough in the first place.

The paint colors were white (the base beneath the red, also), red for the sunburst on the wings (over the white), and blue (no base of white underneath. I noticed that the red paint that was in full and direct contact with the sun (top of wings) had a tendency to fade as time progressed. Neither the white or blue paint did this. The fabric and paint on the under side of the wings and fuselage looked as good as the day it was painted.

I peeled the fabric off of the wings and took a 10.25 by 3.25 piece and weighed it. It came in at exactly 48 ounces (for 33.3125 sq.ft.). That makes the painted fabric weight to calculate out to 0.09 (and change) pounds per sq.ft. That piece was off the the lower side of the bottom wing (shorter of the wings). If you figure that the top fabric on the lower wing weighs about the same then that would be 6 lbs, per wing for the bottom. I haven't weighed the pieces for the top yet (it's 97 outside right now), but I'm guessing it will be around 4 lbs. per wing side for 8 lbs. for each top wing. 8+8+6+6=28# for the fabric and paint just for the wings. I'm going to weigh each piece individually though to confirm exactly how much the covering weighs for each section of the aircraft.

If anyone has any idea how much 1.7 ounce fabric with paint weighs, I would love to know.

Back