• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Jeet Kun Do Aircraft Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brohawk

Bruce Lee's martial art of Jeet Kun Do took what he considered the best of different styles and combined them. This got me thinking, and that can mean trouble.

I was reading about the Liberty Sport biplane. From what I found, it was built using the fuselage, horizontal stabilizer, and elevators from a Champ. The vertical Stab and rudder were from a pacer. The landing gear was from a C-140. Overall, it was said to have parts from 17 different aircraft, along with the wings being an original design by Liberty Lloyd.

Here's where the trouble comes in. I was close to pulling the trigger on plans for a CH-750. It seemed like it would be a good fit for my wife & me to putter around in. Then I was talking with some 701/750 owners online and they were saying that if our intent was to do some travelling that this was a less than ideal vehicle. The wing being optimized for STOL performance means you'll have a bumpy ride while going from Point A to Point B unless it's a pretty calm day.

I contacted Zenith about an option for a wing optimized for cruise performance for those who have no need for extreme STOL and would rather go faster. From their response I assume they have no interest in going that route.

How big of a can of worms would be opened to take a different wing, such as the metal wing designed for a Wittman W10 as an example, and adapt it to a fuselage like a CH750?

I'm probably displaying a lot of ignorance along with my imagination. (Is there an aircraft design guide for the mathematically challenged?:ermm:)

Back