Wanted JC Propeller Design Software

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FokkerDVII

Needing to buy a copy of Jan Carlsson's JC Propeller Design software.

Thanks CL

FokkerDVII

I offer $150 for the latest version of Jan Carlsson's JC Propeller Design software.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
I would very much like to have a copy of this software as well. Willing to host it and continue development.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Prof. Mark Drela's XROTOR is based on the same theoretical underpinnings that Jan used. It's in the same command-prompt format as Xfoil, so it's not as friendly as Excel, but it is a very thorough program. Prop design, analysis of arbitrary user designs, stress analysis, and sound modeling are all included. I have just begun to mess with it, myself.
http://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/web/xrotor/

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone have contact information for anyone in Jan's family? I do believe that Jan's software allowed output to files that could go directly to Solidworks or others. Drela's software is more like a Phd dissertation.

Lendo

Jay,
I have a copy but it won't run on Windows 10, I transferred it to a stand alone Laptop which still had Win7.
This is not his latest and greatest software and why he was selling it for a very reasonable price of $100. His latest version he used for consultancy work and was very much different with many new approaches along the lines of Paul Lipps's work and Jack Norris's book.

Jan Carlsson was European, so someone from that area of Europe might know the family, or be able to contact the family, to arrange some discussion on possibility of selling copies of his latest work. I would also be interested in that.
George

rpm

I have purchased version 1 and version 2 from Jan in the past - would like to upgrade to latest one as well. If anyone can help.

pictsidhe

I wish that I'd bought a copy while I could. Writing my own instead now, which has little chance of being as good.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
There are some useful spreadsheet available to members of the Groups.IO Small-4-stroke-engines group in the files section that are VERY helpful. Perhaps the best we can do in Jan's absence.

davidjgall

I have purchased version 1 and version 2 from Jan in the past - would like to upgrade to latest one as well. If anyone can help.
I have “JCPropeller Design Generation X” which I purchased in 2015. Is that the latest version? I never received replies when I inquired about updates shortly before Mr. Carlsson passed, so I assume it is the latest and greatest.

According to Rupert Wasey at Hercules Propellers, the “new works” purportedly based on Norris/Lipps were proprietary and only offered as a design service, not a software package for sale. I attempted to contact Mr. Carlsson’s estate with a tender offer to buy the software rights for all and/or the entire business and received no reply.

I am developing my own package with similar functionality to that of Mr. Carlsson’s spreadsheets and using his sheets as validation. I have it on back-burner because I thought there was no market but could reinvigorate the effort if there’s genuine interest.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
but could reinvigorate the effort if there’s genuine interest.
There is genuine interest. If there is enough to justify the time, and how you define justify, are the real questions.

Still have a copy of your sheet based on TN-212. Handy little thing for quick estimates. Really appreciate it.

Lendo

David, Everyone would indeed be interested. Jan told me his latest work was along the lines of Jack Norris's work and even Paul Lipps -I assume.
I have been trying to formulate my own ideas, but am not smart enough -yet :)
Best of luck with your approach.
George

Keyepitts

Just to throw this out there, there is Mecaflux Heliciel propeller design software (~$375) out there that can export an IGES model direct to Solidworks. I have a copy, but have not used it to make an actual propeller yet. Would love to see someone knowledgable do some experimenting and comparison work with it.

Latest posts