Japanese Ta-Gō

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

It had to be a scam, right? How much damage can you really expect to do in a little hundred mile an hour plywood box?

Hawk81A

How much damage could a Zero do against a battleship? This thought was what caused Saki to turn his Kamakazi group around and return. He realized the waste of skilled pilots to do minimal damage. Maybe these were intended for targets like troops or vehicles - maybe even other aircraft. Dennis

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
How much damage could a Zero do against a battleship? This thought was what caused Saki to turn his Kamakazi group around and return. He realized the waste of skilled pilots to do minimal damage. Maybe these were intended for targets like troops or vehicles - maybe even other aircraft. Dennis

Relatively as much a 2.59 gram lead (that being a .22 LR bullet 40 grains ) can do to a human. Terminal and instant damage if at the right place, nothing -sometimes not even a drop of blood spilled- if flies through and all trouble in between.

That Zero came not as "only" an aircraft , there were things (called bombs) attached to it.

Modern ( 1980 vintage) variants without pilot, also subsonic and rather small, have recently put a mayor dent in a battleship.

Tiger Tim

How much damage could a Zero do against a battleship?
I figure a Kamikaze plane is basically a cruise missile with a sophisticated but expensive guidance system. In theory it delivers a bomb with better accuracy than just dropping it. Not sure the Ta-Go could carry much more than a pilot and a few gallons of gas.

ScaleBirdsScott

To a point, I think the interest of most replicas is feeling a bit like the cool pilot. If that plane was meant for inexperienced pilots to crash on purpose, there's not a whole lot of cool ace vibes there regardless of one's personal feelings on the implications around such a mission. On the other hand, it's also a matter of cool airplane vibes. Just cuz you can make a box fly, and just cuz that specific box shape has some lost connection with a military aircraft doesn't make it implicitly cool.

If one says "well this Ta-Gō is an interesting exercise in minimalism in construction while incorporating some useful features, and worth emulating for an affordable aircraft" that's a worthwhile take insofar as there's no need to replicate the end result with any specificity, but instead take that the overall package seems pretty compelling for a modern kit: 110hp engine, folding cantilever wings, simple wood construction, few complex angles if any, and the result is a fairly capable aircraft: I think there's a there there.

But pursuing that to the ends of making a replica seems fairly narrow in scope to something for museums or maybe a very niche collector-type to undertake as a one-off project.

Aesquire

Both of the other WW2 suicide planes, the Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka, and the Fieseler Fi 103R Reichenberg, ( not actually used as intended ) had small wings for high speed, and a rear set cockpit to leave room for the warhead. Neither is a good choice for a homebuilder, not because of construction difficulty, but because they are lousy flying machines for sports flying, even lightened & with landing gear added.

A Me-163 Komet replica, with a modern small jet engine and real landing gear & spoiler/brakes for glidepath control, would be an awesome sports plane. But unless you used Rutan style moldless composite construction, or ( please!) a molded carbon fiber kit, construction would be a bit challenging. It would fly great.

I agree that study of the construction of the Ta Go might teach some useful tips, and might even make a fun sports plane, but it wouldn't be the air show draw a prettier plane would be.

Wanttaja

A Me-163 Komet replica, with a modern small jet engine and real landing gear & spoiler/brakes for glidepath control, would be an awesome sports plane. But unless you used Rutan style moldless composite construction, or ( please!) a molded carbon fiber kit, construction would be a bit challenging. It would fly great.
Apparently so....full scale replica ME-163 glider:

Doing it as a glider or jet gets you away from that pesky Z-Stoff and T-Stoff....

Ron "It's better to burn out than dissolve" Wanttaja