Jack Norris prop design software

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

harrisonaero

I have Jack's book <"interesting" writing style> and hear rumor that there's software that goes along with it. Can anyone point me to the source?

BTW Jan would use yours but I want to investigate different planforms, variable pitches, etc for my application.

Thanks guys.

Jan Carlsson

I think H.Evan'sRV7A tested Jack&Andys software.
My new software that I don't sell will do the same as Jack's, it is just for consulting though, but make any planform within reason, just made some very ugly looking props for a Curtiss pusher.

H.Evan'sRV7A

For those who have Jack's book, his phone number is in it. His snailmail address is on his website: Propellers Explained & Logic of Flight . He would welcome a contact either way.

When he's been asked in the past for the program he's declined to release it. That said, he'd be willing to provide the program's output to your input specs for a token donation which he gives to a personal charitable cause that he can explain.

Just an explanation about the program: it is written in BASIC and so it is the source code. I suppose it could be compiled but it's not worth the trouble since there is no advantage. The program has been updated to work with modern printers and uses input and output files rather than hand-modifying the source code which is how Andy left it many years ago.

If you PM me I can give you his phone number if you don't have the book. The book is still for sale via snail mail and probably again at AirVenture 16 after his presentations.

Jan might be a good way to go because he is both the programmer and the consultant. Jack is not the programmer (that was Andy Bauer) but he's the consultant. So I supply the IT support while being unable to help with prop technology as such.

I am not recommending either over the other as to the quality of the design because I'm not competent to do that and have no comparison data. But you can't go wrong with either, IMHO. You might be able to talk to Jan if he gives you a Skype ID but otherwise, the call to California will be cheaper.

Jan - I hope this is OK. I appreciate all the help you've given me over the last several years.

harrisonaero

Thanks Hugh. My book was autographed by Jack in 2010 and I got the impression from the book that he was getting up there in age even back then (book was written in 2007).

Last edited:

Jan Carlsson

For those who have Jack's book, his phone number is in it. His snailmail address is on his website: Propellers Explained & Logic of Flight . He would welcome a contact either way.

When he's been asked in the past for the program he's declined to release it. That said, he'd be willing to provide the program's output to your input specs for a token donation which he gives to a personal charitable cause that he can explain.

Just an explanation about the program: it is written in BASIC and so it is the source code. I suppose it could be compiled but it's not worth the trouble since there is no advantage. The program has been updated to work with modern printers and uses input and output files rather than hand-modifying the source code which is how Andy left it many years ago.

If you PM me I can give you his phone number if you don't have the book. The book is still for sale via snail mail and probably again at AirVenture 16 after his presentations.

Jan might be a good way to go because he is both the programmer and the consultant. Jack is not the programmer (that was Andy Bauer) but he's the consultant. So I supply the IT support while being unable to help with prop technology as such.

I am not recommending either over the other as to the quality of the design because I'm not competent to do that and have no comparison data. But you can't go wrong with either, IMHO. You might be able to talk to Jan if he gives you a Skype ID but otherwise, the call to California will be cheaper.

Jan - I hope this is OK. I appreciate all the help you've given me over the last several years.
H.Evans, it is nice Jack is along, he inspired me to make my latest software. called the HSOP, horse sense optimal propeller :)
it is some time now since I had contact with him, would be interesting to see his program

pwood66889

Roger the "Interesting Style," Joa. I have Jack's too-fer book(s?). Hope you can get the software to "fly."
Jan's help could be just the ticket.
Percy in SE Bama

FWSwe

if Jack's software isn't available, then their are some other alternatives. I Googled "aircraft propeller design software open source" and came up with a few options:

For professionals and consultants:
SU2, the open-source CFD code

For the majority of readers for this forum:
Free Aircraft Design Software

Link pages to various sites:
Human Powered Helicopters - Engineering
JSBSim Open Source Flight Dynamics Model
Aerospace Applications
Aerodynamics and Aircraft Design Software

Free Software:
Prop design: PropDesign
Pytoche's version: https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/firewall-forward-props-fuel-system/10967-my-home-made-propeller-design-software-download-video-tutorial.html
Prop Gen: PropGen design and analysis - index
Inaprop: Inaprop
JBSim: JSBSim Open Source Flight Dynamics Model

Paid versions:
Jan's old software: THE JC PROPELLER DESIGN PROGRAM
Heliciel: The screw propellers and Wings website: Heliciel.com

Little off topic but somewhat interesting:
NASA open source parametric geometry: OpenVSP
Thirty Thousand Feet websites: Thirty Thousand Feet - Aircraft Propellers

Tom Nalevanko

Roger the "Interesting Style," Joa. I have Jack's too-fer book(s?). Hope you can get the software to "fly."
Jan's help could be just the ticket.
Percy in SE Bama
I saw and spoke with Jack at our EAA meeting last month. He would probably glad to get a call inquiring about this. If his number is not available or in his books, let me know and I will dig it up for you...

Blue skies,

Tom

Group Builder