Jabiru 3300 ?

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by Caltard13, Jul 1, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 1, 2019 #1

Caltard13

Caltard13

Caltard13

Anyone have any feedback, good , bad, cautionary about the jabiru 3300?

2. Jul 1, 2019 #2

BJC

BJC

BJC

3. Jul 1, 2019 #3

Caltard13

Caltard13

Caltard13

Thanks BJC, I had seen that discussion. unfortunately, it was all written in a few months in 2014., i guess i was looking for updated information. Any changes?

4. Jul 1, 2019 #4

BJC

BJC

BJC

I haven’t followed the issue closely, but I think that the engines currently being produced are different from those that were a concern.

Hopefully, some of the Australian HBAers can provide better information.

FWIW, I’ve always wanted to see a Midget Mustang with a J 3300. Met a guy once who said that he was working on such a project, but I don’t know if he ever completed it.

BJC

5. Jul 2, 2019 #5

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Good information from some long time Jabiru users on their Yahoo group which is still quite active:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/JabCamit/info

You need to be a member to read/post on the group but that's a quick & easy process.

Hope this helps ...

Dale
    N319WF

rdj likes this.
  6. Jul 2, 2019 #6

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

The Gen 4 engines were introduced in late 2017 I think. Quite different from the earlier ones. Not enough flight hours to judge if they have solved the numerous issues from the earlier ones yet.

7. Jul 2, 2019 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think a lot comes down to price point. Cheap enough, I can put up with quirks and even problems. Full price and I would probably skip it for something with a 912 in it.

8. Jul 3, 2019 #8

Caltard13

Caltard13

Caltard13

Ok so here is an update to the information from 2014 above. its done in 2016, of course its from jabiru North America, bit it does shed some light on the "issues". The fact that Jabirus are still flying in Au and elsewhere, with no restictions adds credence to the story they tell! It also then talks about the updates, which they designate as the 2210 & the 3310, model engines to differentiate.

also a good discussion , with a link to article on LSA accident and fatality rates, data from 2007 - 2012 I believe, Jabiru comes out better than most, including cessna
    https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/jabiru-3300-reliability.88387/

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  9. Jul 3, 2019 #9

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Unfortunately Jabiru USA isn't the best source of impartial data on the engines if you've been following these engines since their inception as I have. They sell and support them and have to toe the factory line. Almost all engines have their quirks and problems but the early Jabs had more than their fair share and the factory was slow to admit to them and address them. The later engines are generally better and the 2210 and 3310s don't have enough flight time to know how good they'll be yet.

We've discussed the multiple issues with earlier engine here before, should someone want to search those discussions.

Early Jabirus deservedly don't have a reputation as bulletproof engines like maybe Lycoming 320s do.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  10. Jul 3, 2019 #10

Turbine Aeronautics

Turbine Aeronautics

Turbine Aeronautics

On the main Australian forum, the Jabiru bashing has dissipated significantly over the last 12 months. I don’t have statistics but my observation from current Aussie users of the Jab3300 who post on that forum is that reliability is improving with the mods that Jabiru are offering. I haven’t seen too many incidents involving Jabiru engines on the forum in recent times.

My buddy has a Fuel injected (Ross’s SDS EFI) Jab3300 in his Lightning Bug. With recent tweaking of various systems including prop, oil cooling etc., he has now hit the 200ktas straight and level target with probably a little more to come. That’s one fast Jab3300!

Getting a good prop for it certainly makes a world of difference to the smoothness of the engine and performance of the aircraft.

rv6ejguy and litespeed like this.
  11. Jul 4, 2019 #11

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

Go Jabawocky rocket:D

12. Jul 4, 2019 #12

Lendo

Lendo

Lendo

C13,
    I have spoken to Jabiru a little while back and recommended a parts manufacturer as my neighbour works at that Company and they manufacture to a very high standard - to a variety of Industries requiring exacting standards. It seems when Jabiru decided to go with a new type of bearing rocker arms, they ended up with unintended Torsional Vibrations, which did cause some problems. A good friend and Mechanical Engineer has good words for the 6 cylinder Jabiru, as he has one. It would be hard to beat on Price because of the Exchange Rate, as well as weight. It's reliability and longevity I can't speak for, as I have no experience with the engine itself.
    Hope that helps.
    George