Quantcast

Jabiru 2200 for a Baby Ace?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, if you have it in an airframe that doesn't take a lot of HP to fly and can take the weight of an electrical system since you need a starter to start a redrive engine.
Wish someone would design, manufacture, and sell a Mc Dowell hand starter for the VW.
I will buy one.
Interesting instructions for installing the McDowell starter are here at a T-Craft forum: McDowell Starter - The Taylorcraft Discussion Forums (Post #19)
I had imagined it used some sort of recoil handle like a lawnmower rope, but it was a lever on the floorboards that you pump a few times that uses a cable/ratchet/pawl mechanism to compress a spring in a housing around the crank/prop hub. The spring does the cranking. Pretty neat. Installation was more involved than I would have thought (cutting the cowl, etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: BJC

TFF

Oh I see it’s a clockwork spring. I can’t tell how the base mounts; in the inset cove of the cowl instead of the engine case?
You have to have a lot of respect for the initial wind of the spring during installation. Every time I see a plot drop the ground cable to the reel, and let it spool up uncontrolled needs to install one of those springs they are abusing. If you are putting a new one in and it escapes, you are loosing fingers at a minimum. You drop it, you replace it.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
When you pull the handle the pawl catches and pulls the engine over compression . The spring is the re-coil that spins the mechanism for another bite with the pawl. You pull the handle slowly to get it against compression and then a quick pull on the handle. The spring just resets it for another bite.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I see. So like a mower. Just has a handle for leverage.
Yes, the cable is located part way down from the top of the handle for more leverage. Bottom of handle pivots on brackets bolted to the floor. Great way to start a non-electric engine and same a lot of weight of an electrical system.

robertl

Yes, if you have it in an airframe that doesn't take a lot of HP to fly and can take the weight of an electrical system since you need a starter to start a redrive engine.
Wish someone would design, manufacture, and sell a Mc Dowell hand starter for the VW.
I will buy one.
What did Dick Stark and the Dawn Patrol use for their Neuports
Bob