Quantcast

Jabiru 2200 for a Baby Ace?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

I would think on a BA, you would cap off the starter and generator on a C-85. Same with a Corvair, I would want a magneto ignition and hand prop. Pretty much back at the A-65 weight. Find me one of those pull start from the cockpit things and I would have to put it on though.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
I think the low prices are for the older Jabirus. The Jabiru is currently on gen 4. The reports are that the gen 4 is a good running engine. My understanding is that the early ones had problems, but that water cooled heads from Rotec, and a few other mods seem to have fixed the major problems depending on which generation the engine is. I also recall reading some controversy about their lifters at some point? The older jab engines do seem to be a good value, if you get the serial number, find out what generation it is, and call around and find out what can be done to make it a reliable engine.

Peter Anson

I have a Sonex running a very early Jabiru 3300 (Serial 116) which is up to 450 hours and giving good service. I have 4 friends with Jabiru 2200 powered Sonexes. Three of them have had good service from their engines but one had lots of problems and eventually replaced it with a Cammit. I think the problem engines were the early hydraulic lifter engines. The engines are very light, about 60 kg from memory and swing a 60" prop when fitted to Jabiru aircraft, and I think put out slightly more power than most of the VW conversions. There is a small fleet of Corby Starlets at my airfield and all but one of them run 2200 Jabs. The difference in performance over the VW powered Starlets is very noticeable. You don't need to fit water-cooled heads but they do need good cooling air flow. The 3300 actually runs a bit cool in my Sonex and even in Australian summers it runs quite low CHTs.

robertl

One of the little Geo Metro engines with the Raven redrive might be a good combination. You would have to buy the redrive used because I don't think he makes them any more. But I recall they had a neat little 60-70HP engine that looked like a miniature Gipsy, or a Walter LOM. One of them even used the car turbo, and made a few more HP. The redrive would allow you to spin a viable propeller and get the performance you want. The inline engine would allow you to create a really neat classic looking British cowling with the little exhausts sticking out the bottom... so you would have something a little funky an unique. Very low fuel consumption, and built on an automotive engine platform that is reliable and parts are available. See if you can find info about the Geo/Raven engines, I can't remember which one was the 60-70 HP inline.
I have that info somewhere and when I find it, I'll make a copy. I also saw a Zenith CH-701 powered by one and the guy said it's compariable to the Rotax 912.
Bob

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I was reading that the Jabiru 2200 gets 80 HP at 3,300 rpm.,

Anyone know RPM does the 2180 VW get its 80 hp at? I can’t seem to find that information.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I was reading that the Jabiru 2200 gets 80 HP at 3,300 rpm.,

Anyone know RPM does the 2180 VW get its 80 hp at? I can’t seem to find that information.
80 hp from a 2180 cc VW engine is highly optimistic for more that a very short time. Revmaster's 2300 list 82 HP continuous and 85 hp for 5 minutes. Great buy.
Some list max HP at 3400 and others at 3600 rpm.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thanks guys.

I’m really wanting to use a VW a Corvair or a Jabiru. If it doesn’t work I can always just bolt on a Continental but I’m really in this for the experience of home built aviation.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
We all are just learning and having fun. Enjoy. Looking forward to your post on whatever you build.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
There is also the D-motor LF2600 (125lbs, 90-95 HP direct drive at 3300(?) rpm). I’ve never seen a used one for sale, so you’d probably have to buy it new ($13-17k). It’s powerful, light, compact and liquid cooled, but certainly more expensive that a used engine or a new O-100.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys.

I’m really wanting to use a VW a Corvair or a Jabiru. If it doesn’t work I can always just bolt on a Continental but I’m really in this for the experience of home built aviation.
You like the Baby Ace and you like the VW. So...
Just to mention it: You could use a VW with a redrive to turn a bigger prop. VWs with PSRUs got a bad reputation because people tried (hard!) to use them to make 90-100 HP for use on slow airplanes by turning the engine faster, going to higher CRs, etc. On the other hand, if you really want to use a VW and the plane will fly okay on 75 HP for takeoff, maybe 70 HP or less continuous from a big, efficient prop, then maybe a 2180cc Type 1 with a PSRU would work well, give you something different, and let you build a VW as you've said you want to do.
But if you do, PLEASE build it and fly it within its limits. Install CHT probes on each cyl and heed the numbers. It won't be especially light, but the long prop will efficiently make a lot of low-speed thrust with whatever HP the engine will make.

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
FWIW, here's the Great Plains web page showing their engine/reduction drive kits.
Don't be seduced by the high HPs shown for takeoff. I wouldn't count on that HP for very long, it comes at a big price if the CHTs get high.
Also, you'll have to take engine baffling seriously. Just hanging the heads out in the breeze won't do the trick if you really want to use a VW to make significant continuous HP.

ETA: I guess these posts are in the wrong thread. Apologies to the Jabiru fans.

Last edited:

crusty old aviator

I think the one of the larger VW's would work. The Pober Pixie didn't do to well with a VW, but the prototype had a 1700cc engine. I think it would have done much better with a 2180 or 2276. Keep it light and put a 60" or 62" prop on it with the right pitch and it will fly!
The prototype is a Heath LB airframe with a J3 Cub main gear and a Limbach engine. All three were donated to EAA and Paul told the EAA mechanics to combine them with a pressure cowl. They had a bunch of donated green dope to paint her with. One of the mechanics said she looked like a leprechaun, which morphed into pixie, because it sounded better with Pober. Most Pixies are flying with Continentals.

crusty old aviator

You like the Baby Ace and you like the VW. So...
Just to mention it: You could use a VW with a redrive to turn a bigger prop.
I concur. The three engines you’re interested in develop their power at high rpm, so they’re limited to shorter props, which limits them to small, clean, fast airframes. Your Corben airframe requires a longer prop, which limits your rpm, so you need a PSRU between which engine of those three you go with and a 72” prop. If the Jabiru 2200 is so light, that would compensate for the additional weight of the PSRU.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The prototype is a Heath LB airframe with a J3 Cub main gear and a Limbach engine. All three were donated to EAA and Paul told the EAA mechanics to combine them with a pressure cowl. They had a bunch of donated green dope to paint her with. One of the mechanics said she looked like a leprechaun, which morphed into pixie, because it sounded better with Pober. Most Pixies are flying with Continentals.
Friend of mine had a Pixie with a C-85.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The VW with a redrive, but limited to 65-70 hp and normal temperatures, sounds like it will check all the boxes.
Yes, if you have it in an airframe that doesn't take a lot of HP to fly and can take the weight of an electrical system since you need a starter to start a redrive engine.
Wish someone would design, manufacture, and sell a Mc Dowell hand starter for the VW.
I will buy one.