J3 kitten in wood

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Geraldc

I have been looking at the J3 kitten but do not want to do a steel tube fuselage.
Would it be acceptable to use a modified ragwing RW8 fuselage and fit a J3 wooden wing to it ?

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Why not just build a Hi-Max, or small Fisher design? There are plenty of small single seat wooden designs. The advantage is you can just follow the plans, instead of basically designing a new airplane.

Geraldc

I have a J-3 Kitten / J-4 Sportster you can buy, where you don't have to build that steel fuselage that irritates you, but you still get the benefit of it if you need it in a crash.
I can build a steel fuselage easy.I have a good TIG setup and tube notcher and worked with metal most of my working life. Cost of freight to here makes the use of steel tube stock or built up uneconomical.
I have heaps of oregon left over and good plywood is 5 minutes drive away.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
LMA were the guys with J3 Cub replicas in wood, mini and full size. They have been gone for a while.

Pops

Log Member
Fisher FP-202 or Dakota are also good airplanes in wood.
And Super Koala.
Picture of the Fisher Dakota with a Rotex 912 engine that was on the cover of Sport Aviation. Very nice all wood 2 place airplane. DSCF0009 (2).JPG

Geraldc

I have ordered HI Max 1700 plans and will make a comparison of all the options.
Fisher plans were too expensive for an learning exercise.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
I have the Fisher Dakota Hawk plans, they are well done. Worth the money if you end up choosing one of their designs.

Geraldc

I have had a look at the HI Max plans.They are that similar to Ragwing RW8 but more detailed.
For a $40 electronic download they are excellent study material.

Victor Bravo

GeraldC, if you don't mind, can you tell all of us what type of flying you want to do with (whatever you build)? That will allow you to get a lot of relevant and targeted advice or experience from the people here who know more about (whatever) kind of flying you want to do. Are you wanting an airplane to go boondocking with, or travel at 100-200-300 MPH, or do you want something to train for your license, etc.

By the way... you said you "have heaps of oregon left over". Does that mean you have heaps of wood from Oregon, or heaps of wood left over from the manufacture of organs and pianos, or do you actually have heaps of property in Oregon? (I don't speak Kiwi, so you'll have to help me out here:) )

Geraldc

Victor Bravo
Oregon in Kiwi speak is Douglas fir.
There is an old saying there are builders and flyers but rarely both.I would rather build.
Flying something you have built is a bonus .
Most flying here is local so fast only gets you a better park at the next airport.
So I was looking at something cheap and easy to build.

Victor Bravo

If you are a builder, and want to build something where what you have built is the primary reward... definitely take a look at the Flitzer Z-21 biplane from Lynn Williams in England. A magnificent and unique aircraft. It apparently also happens to fly very very nicely.

Geraldc

If you are a builder, and want to build something where what you have built is the primary reward... definitely take a look at the Flitzer Z-21 biplane from Lynn Williams in England. A magnificent and unique aircraft. It apparently also happens to fly very very nicely.
I have had a good look at the Flitzer and think it would be a good project with the Verner 5 cyl radial.
I have downloaded plans for HI-Max and some Ragwing designs for educational purposes and all are similar.
One thing of interest is that there seems to be a direct substitution of 3/4 x 3/4 timber for .035 wall steel tube. Plus plywood skins.

mullacharjak

I have been looking at the J3 kitten but do not want to do a steel tube fuselage.
Would it be acceptable to use a modified ragwing RW8 fuselage and fit a J3 wooden wing to it ?
A pietenpol aircamper would be a good idea in NZ.You could use an Auto engine like a Toyota 4Y which has been done by one of your countrymen.I recall the grega aircamper version used a J3 wing.

TFF

The question is do you already have the wings and are just looking for a fuselage? Why not build the Rag Heath parasol and add siding. The Cub pretty much started out as a semi enclosed parasol. Wing tips and deck is usually add on stuff anyway. If you want a two seater build all of the Rag 8 or 11.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
No, I think he meant enclosing a parasol design, simply building up the turtledeck to the height of the wing trailing edge, extending the windscreen to the wing leading edge, and adding side windows. Here’s an enclosed version of a Corben Ace, I have also seen convertible versions like the second and third photos.

379840B4-9054-45F4-B6BA-7244B126F8CC.jpeg
6B8C3CDA-BAF8-4082-9D8E-05B48B698D26.png
C45E37DE-D1F9-41F5-8A99-C3CDCE988F5A.png

TFF

I was not trying to be too technical. Stringers do make the turtle deck on a Cub but they are not structural. Just hold fabric. Plexiglass fills in the rest. But essentially all the classics planes started as parasols, and once the wind in the face did not grip the regular public, enclosed became the standard. It’s faster and more efficient. It is usually a hair heavier. The point is all these planes are are pretty much the same with a curve or a line as the only distinguishing difference between brands.

Are you more interested in a single or two seat?

Group Builder