• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

J-3 Kitten Ultralight Repair Project - Proceeds Benefit Chapter Build Program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Today, 12-12-2020 EAA Chapter 40 has received a donation of a really good Part 103 "legal ultralight" repair project, a Hipp's Superbirds J-3 Kitten. I'm selling this for the EAA Chapter, to raise money toward our Zenith 750 Cruzer chapter build project.

Similar ultralights sell in stores for over twelve million dollars, but on this special TV offer.... what am I offered in cash or trade for this?
(We need a good undamaged rebuildable 100-150HP Continental or Lycoming engine for our Zenair 750 project... O-200, O-235, O-320)

The project is complete and all major parts are there, including almost all minor parts. Some small hardware, control cables, nuts and bolts, etc. are likely not there. But it's stuff you would have replaced anyway.

At least one wing suffered moderate damage from having fallen off of the stands or sawhorses in storage. My understanding is that it did NOT crash. This is hangar rash.

We have NOT removed the fabric yet so I can NOT say the exact extent of the damage. But at this stage they appear to be completely rebuildable wings using standard AC 43.13 or ANC-19 wood repair procedures. The wing spars are solid spruce, the wing ribs are built from square sticks. You will be repairing several "stick ribs" and thin plywood leading/trailing edges. These wings are incredibly light, and this design is known to legally meet Part 103, but it's a "real airplane", steel tube fuselage, etc.

The wings do not look rotted, mouse-urine'd, soaked, burned, or rained on. They were under tarps in a near-desert environment (Northern Los Angeles County, CA) and had been owned by an aerospace industry engineer (and WW2 pilot).

Fuselage intact and appears undamaged. Fabric on fuselage is not great. Certainly could be patched and repaired. But I'd recover it. It is a nice enough airplane to justify that. Wings need the fabric removed to repair the structure.

Black Max hydraulic brakes, Black Max stick mounted "bicycle grip" master cylinder.

Rotax 277 pull start with propeller, exhaust, carburetor. Stored inside garage.

Not a scrap of paperwork. But no paperwork is needed for this.

J-3 Kitten-3 Trailer.jpgJ-3 Kitten-4 Wings.jpgJ-3 Kitten-1.jpgJ-3 Kitten-2 Wing Damage.jpg

Back