Quantcast

J-3 Eagle

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
I think a hybrid j1-t would be the way to go, with something like a kawasaki 440 for power

Speedboat100

I have the plans for the J1B and the J2 Polenez (in Polish) and have been comparing the two. A little internet search will reveal that only a single J3 Eagle was produced and I am still unclear on the differences between the J2 and J3.

Others on this forum are building variants of this design and at least one is combining the J1B which s slightly larger with the T tail of the J2 with a lengthened fuselage. I cant recall the name at the moment, perhaps they will chime in here.

At least one builder in Russia converted the J1B to aluminum which would be of interest to learn more about. There are a few reported issues with the J1B plans and design which have been reported and are fixable. The angle of incidence of the wing is one and poor horizontal tail authority due to its low position is another that can be rectified with the T-tail.

How about a hybrid J1B in aluminum with J2 T tail built using angle longerons and aluminum skins? The higher strut braced wing would allow for folding aft like early kit fox designs.

How was the trim arranged in the T-tail?

Aerowerx

I was wondering if you could take a page out of the boat builders handbook and set up a set of inverted station bulkheads like a canoe strong back on your build table. Cut the corners cut out of the bulkheads to fit the stringer and add provisions for clamping. Then place the stringers in a piece of PVC pipe and steam the s**t out of them. Remove from the pipe and clamp on the strongback and let dry to lower the moisture content before gluing.
That is exactly what I tried.

Hephaestus

I think a hybrid j1-t would be the way to go, with something like a kawasaki 440 for power
Yamaha 2cyl would be the current favorite. Even finding a 440 these days will get challenging - whereas you can order a NIB 2cyl phazer from arctic cat.

OMFG... "Don't open that closet McGee !"

You need someone who is fluent in Polish AND English. Unfortunately, our dear Henryk is not.
Yes.

That said - fiverr elance etc are inexpensive options.

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
Yamaha 2cyl would be the current favorite. Even finding a 440 these days will get challenging - whereas you can order a NIB 2cyl phazer from arctic cat.

Yes.

That said - fiverr elance etc are inexpensive options.
Jbird has em