IvoProp inflight adjustable question...

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by MadProfessor8138, Aug 19, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 19, 2019 #1

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

I've flown fixed pitch,ground adjustable and a few constant speed props but I've never flown an inflight adjustable prop.
    I understand the theory for the most part on a 4-stroke.....set your rpm and adjust the manifold pressure.
    Thought I would ask how the prop is operated with a 2-stroke engine.....2-strokes can be peaky at particular rpm's etc...
    Do you set the engine to full throttle or 3/4 throttle and then use the prop to govern the engine speed by increasing or decreasing the prop load.

I don't mean to sound totally ignorant on the issue but this is one area that I have no practical experience with....

Kevin

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. Aug 20, 2019 #2

TFF

TFF

TFF

Sounds like a cat fight. I think setting to 85-90 percent and start jockeying with prop and power until you find a pattern you like. Then you can go to it. Then you can go full power and see how much pitch it can take.

3. Aug 20, 2019 #3

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

4. Aug 20, 2019 #4

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Yeah...I saw the constant speed add-on that they offer.
    I've also read that they've had some issues with it....how true this is I dont know.

At this point,I'm just researching props and trying to learn as much as possible.
    I've plugged numbers into the prop calculator and can acheive a better than 1:1 ratio but cruise drops dramatically with a fixed pitch prop.
    The inflight adjustable or constant speed would give me great climb and cruise...best of both worlds.
    Once I get my Stork finished I would like to take it to OshKosh and enter the STOL competitions that they have.
    With its light weight,94 hp Rotax 670 and an adjustable pitch prop......it should be a serious contender.

Kevin

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  5. Aug 20, 2019 #5

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

Be really careful if your two-stroke uses pre-mixed oil and fuel. If you take too much pitch out of the prop and create a light load at high RPM, you'll wind up with bearings starving for oil. If you have oil injection, you might get away with it.

Two-strokes are very picky about having the right combination of prop pitch and jetting. I'd stay away from variable pitch props unless you use a four-stroke.

6. Aug 20, 2019 #6

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

I've got over 400 hours on my inflight adjustable IVO. In my application, I use about neutral pitch for takeoff, climb and pattern work (blade angle judged with an ammeter on the panel). As I level for cruise and the prop unloads, I dial in more pitch. Bring the pitch back to neutral coming back into the pattern. Works well and zero problems to date.

DORIGTT likes this.
  7. Aug 20, 2019 #7

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

What engine are you running with your inflight adjustable ?

Kevin

8. Aug 20, 2019 #8

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Turbocharged Subaru EJ22.

9. Aug 21, 2019 #9

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

That's good to know.....
    I heard that Ivo was having a problem with the pitch motor there for a while.

I'm thinking a constant speed Ivoprop may be in my future......unless someone knows of a reason not to run it on a Rotax670 with gearbox.

Kevin

10. Aug 21, 2019 #10

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

The constant speed versions didn't work too well and uses up brushes quickly. I'd avoid that one. I wouldn't use the circuit breaker to judge pitch stops as they recommend either. Hard on the motor and screw drive mechanism. Fit an ammeter as I did, which gives you an idea where the blades are. Cheap, reliable. Neutral pitch is where current is lowest and you draw more current as the blades go finer or coarser.

Vigilant1 likes this.