I've joined the club!

Discussion in 'Corvair' started by aviast, Sep 30, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 30, 2015 #1

aviast

aviast

aviast

Well, today I bought a Corvair engine and placed my order for the conversion manual and DVDs. The engine is (quite) a bit worse for wear but hopefully some TLC will turn it into an honest aircraft engine.

My dream is to one day bolt it to the front of a Bearhawk LSA - hopefully in time to be able to teach my kids to fly in it!

The journey begins...

Algoa, dcstrng, Pops and 5 others like this.
  2. Sep 30, 2015 #2

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Congrats! :)

3. Sep 30, 2015 #3

don january

don january

don january

So your Corvair bound! good for you, I hope you got the 164ci engine other then the 145 ci. I bought my manual about 6 year's ago and there has been many upgrade's. 5th bearing, Starter location and the list goes on. Good luck and have fun. Don kr-2.jpg

4. Sep 30, 2015 #4

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

WooHoo!

5. Oct 3, 2015 #5

aviast

aviast

aviast

Devastated

Well, it turns out my excitement was premature. I've made what I'm sure many will say is a "rookie mistake."

My engine has case number T0911YN, crank number 5607 and head number 3813516.

According to various serial number lookup sites around the internet these numbers mean: The engine was produced in Tonawanda, New York on the 9th of November in either 1962 or 1963. It has a 145 cubic inch displacement and was a "high performance engine" that produced 102 hp.

It's the crank number, 5607, that is the nail in the coffin. That means it's 145 cid and, according to William Wynne: "Early motors are only 145cid and are not worth pursuing."

6. Oct 3, 2015 #6

don january

don january

don january

The fact of the matter is you can use a 145 ci engine but you have to grind down a small part of the inside of the case's to allow clearence for the rod bolts on the bigger crank. WW covered this area in my manual and it should be in your's?? kr2 nice.jpg

bmcj likes this.
  7. Oct 4, 2015 #7

aviast

aviast

aviast

I ordered the manual on Tuesday so it hasn't arrived yet. I've been poring over the material on the website and found several discussions of the old core:
    I'm really glad to hear that all is not lost! It looks like I'll have to replace my crank, pistons, cylinders, and heads... all of which are readily available. It's a wonder someone hasn't started producing new cases, especially since this seems to be the one part that is getting harder to find. Surely there are some optimisations that can be made for aircraft use? (E.g. reduce weight, integrated 5th bearing, ...)

8. Nov 9, 2015 #8

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Banned

Be sure to read all you can about the available crankshafts and fifth bearing setups before you spend any more money on replacements. You may decide
    to order one of the newer versions from Azalea or Dan Weseman rather than trying to find a used stocker and investing money in an unknown. There
    are lots of ways to build one so be prepared for lots of reading. Good luck with your project..........

9. Nov 11, 2015 #9

don january

don january

don january

100_1103.jpg And don't forget that soon all corvair's as we now them will be dead and gone, suck's to think about but reality is clear......

10. Nov 11, 2015 #10

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

I beg to differ. There are a lot of cores out there--and it's up to us to see they all make it into airplanes so they don't rust away in obscurity!

Algoa likes this.
  11. Nov 11, 2015 #11

don january

don january

don january

alum.does'nt rust, Have you priced corvair's lately? Lot's of 145 around still but their a mistake on aircraft build. I just think they are a dead horse and need to be put to pasture, but that's just one person's opinion.

12. Nov 15, 2016 #12

DaveP

DaveP

DaveP

Its been a year, hows your conversion going?

13. Nov 15, 2016 #13

don january

don january

don january

My shot at a corvair conversion is dead and gone and if I was to go corvair I'd buy one from Bill Clapp, built and ready to go.

14. Nov 16, 2016 #14

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Agreed! Besides ... some of us are aware that there are those who have the wherewithal and access to a foundry where blocks and heads can be made if it should come to that. It won't ... at least not in my flying career. Last core I bought was from a '64 and was the long stroke engine with the correct block, heads, and crank. Only caveat with the long stroke '64 is that the heads have to use the cylinder barrels from the same year unless the heads are machined for a larger size. Found the engine on Craig's List and not far from the house.

Another option for a case:

https://flycorvair.net/2016/08/25/corvair-case-sale-36-available-100-each/

FWIW ... you will love that Corvair engine!

Dale Williams
    N319WF @ 6J2
    Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
    120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
    Tail Wheel - Center Stick
    Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
    133.8 hours / Status - Flying

15. Dec 5, 2016 #15

Bill Clapp

Bill Clapp

Bill Clapp

Welcome to the club! After 13 years of flying corvair powered aircraft and hundreds of hours safely flying them I believe it has been a great choice. It has been a great challenge as well with the development direction I am working toward. Now into turbocharging....more to come. Ready up and study. Find the method that works for your build and talents.