"It's for an off-road vehicle."

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ARP

I have yet to have a problem. The local hardware store owner jokes about how I'm shopping in his "aviation section", and the guys at the auto parts store think it's cool that I'm shopping for aircraft supplies, too. Online, one rarely talks to a human. The only weird one is Zerkel, who sells Cuyuna engine parts... he has to know they're all used on ultralights, but the website says that "nothing sold here is designed or intended for aircraft use."

Dana
Rotax sell their certified engines for aircraft use. What do you think they sell their same spec uncertified engines for?

pictsidhe

"Mars rocket" has worked for me.

Have there been any actual incidences of a hardware supplier being sued, or this lawyerphobia?

gtae07

I've used the off-road vehicle line before. I've also said "I can't tell you" and "none of your business". I told people at Lowes I was building an airplane and they thought it was great.

It really irritates me when companies want to know what you're going to use the product for, when you're trying to order something specific. I ran into that a lot early in my career when we would be making various test equipment and such. I had specced out exactly what I needed--or sometimes I just needed another one of what I had sitting on my desk--but they wouldn't just let me order the parts. They wanted their sales guy to "help". Sorry, don't need your "help".

plncraze

HBA Supporter
If you know about grading wood and what the stamps on the wood mean you can find some decent stuff if you look.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Its really not hard at all.
Must be a regional thing? I look for "aircraft wood" on almost every trip to the lumber store. In 30 years I've seen maybe a hundred board feet. It's so bad around here we are forced to resort to engineered wood for door and window framing if we expect things to still fit and function 6 months later.

Chris In Marshfield

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I did find that I had to locate the absolute widest stuff on the rack so I could get the grain angle that was required (outside edges). Then I'd be flipping boards for a while looking for good stuff. I found about 14-16 pieces on a single trip. Of course, less than half the board is usable for airplane stuff.

Sorry, getting off track from the original post. Back to your regularly scheduled program.