Italian/European engine comparisons

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rivilee

HBA Supporter
Ok, has anyone compared all the brands of paramotor engines out there beyond which ones have the most hp?
Simonini, Minari, Vittorazi, Cors-Air, Polini, EOS and probably more. Best place to buy in the U.S.?

Reason I'm asking is I have a Zenoah G25 and Rotax 277 I was going to use for my Mitchell Wings when they're finished. The Zenoah I bought new in the early 80's, the 277 is still in the factory box. The original powered Wing flew on a 9 hp McCullough (they didn't recommend a big engine like the Zenoah) so I'm thinking about getting a smaller brand new paramotor engine and getting rid of the old new engines.

Maybe get one of the ~15-27hp motors and keep the RPM's lower for longer service? Polini makes liquid cooled engines smaller than the 250 which seem kinda cool. They're all way lighter than the old stuff. Prices seem very reasonable.

Any consolidated info on the brands?

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
The guys that own the rights to the Mitchell wing are local to me. I’ve been meaning to talk to them but all the fly ins were cancelled :(
you might shoot them an email or call to see if they’ve tried any of those PPG engines. Any of those do sound like a perfect match.

rivilee

HBA Supporter
Yup I took a look at the various engines available in that category a few weeks ago, take a look: ULTRALIGHT ENGINE LIBRARY 2-18-2021
Nice!! And I'm even a member of that Facebook group....not enough time in my day to even realize something like this had been posted.
Since the Wing has a decent glide ratio I'm not too uptight about trying an engine that I don't necessarily know a lot about beyond specs. Crazy there are RC engines out there big enough to power a 103.

rivilee

HBA Supporter
The guys that own the rights to the Mitchell wing are local to me. I’ve been meaning to talk to them but all the fly ins were cancelled :(
you might shoot them an email or call to see if they’ve tried any of those PPG engines. Any of those do sound like a perfect match.
I've talked to Jim through the Facebook Mitchell Wing group several times. I haven't heard of anyone trying a PPG engine but they do seem like they may be a fit.

Jsample40

Have you considered the KFM 107 ER 25 hp twin cylinder horizontally opposed, electric start & alternator, with 3 belt factory reduction unit (or direct drive), plus tuned exhaust ... all for approx 50 to 60 lbs? I have owned 3 M Wings, and found the KFM engine package to be the absolute best design, and power plant installed on the B-10 MW. I tried many of the others.
Jay Sample
Western NC