• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

It was now or never

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horchoha

Well, I finally had the experience of getting into my own plane, taxing out to my runway and.....
The week before, my instructor handed me my Pilot Log Book and said "you're done, you've met all the requirements for your licence". My lessons were finished.
It was now or never. It was Sunday Dec 5, -10c, calm. I looked at my wife, Karen, and said I'm going to take her up. This was my first flight in IDOV. Nerves, yes. Was Karen nervous.... she's a good wife. Suited up, pulled IDOV out of the hangar, did a walk around, jumped in and started her up. Nerves, yes. 8 minute warm up, taxi out to the runway, instruments check, controls check, seatbelt check, doors closed check, fuel check, traffic check. Nerves, yes. It was now or never. Deep breath, remember to dance on the rudder pedals. Firewall the throttle. IDOV moves forward. Nerves? no time now, I had to fly the plane!
Rollout 200', airspeed 50mph, gentle backpressure on the stick, rotate, climbing at 55mph, rate of climb is 800'/minute. At 2750' (500' AGL),throttle to cruise, bank left, level out, shoulder check airstrip position, bank left again, level out, cruise at 72mph for the downwind leg, end of airstrip is at my left shoulder, throttle back, backpressure on the stick for 55mph, starting to loose altitude, shoulder check airstrip, it is at 45* back of my shoulder, bank left onto base leg, loosing more altitude, bank left onto final, lost 150' altitude so far, perfect, lined up for runway, backpressure on stick for 50mph. Correct with rudder and ailerons to stay lined up, cross runway threshhold, maintain 50mph, ground is starting to come fast, faster, backpressure on stick, start flaring , more backpressure, look at the far end of the runway, feel the plane, full backpressure and I feel the ground, 30mph, watch the end of the runway, dance on the rudder to keep her straight, roll to a stop.
Nerves, ell yes, did I give a whoop, ell yes, will I ever forget the first flight, ell no.
The time it took me to do the total circuit was 6 minutes from take off to landing. The one thing I will say is that my 50' x 1400' strip looks a wee bit smaller than the regular airport that I trained at.
These words do not do justice to the feeling you get from flying an airplane that you built yourself. We are a rare group of people that I'm proud to be a part of.
That was my first flight experience in my homebuilt plane. Now I would like to hear others.

Perry

Back