• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

"It Came to me in a Dream..."

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Tim

Don't worry, this is actually homebuilt aviation related, and I'll get to that.

They say everyone you've ever seen in a dream is a real person you've seen somewhere before and I wonder if that holds true for other things as well. They also say you have ten seconds from the time you wake up to remember the details of a dream, so this is the best I can remember:

It was pretty clearly made mostly from certified airplane parts, rearranged to make something unique. Most of it was clearly old Cessna, most likely 170 (pre-A) from the fabric-covered constant chord wings with V-struts, the all-metal round tail surfaces (with the big fin, not like a 140 or really early 170), and the sloping cowl with those little polished grilles on the cooling inlets. All of these parts, however, were attached to an open cockpit, tandem seat, low wing fuselage, sort of like a Ryan Recruit but bigger. The fuselage was for sure metal skinned but it's possible that the skin was over a welded steel tube frame. It had the look of a homebuilt from the fifties or sixties in the way it was clever but rough and certainly very functional. You could easily tell it was that old too because the years hadn't been kind to the dark red paint or the white flash down the sides. Either way, it was all there and I bet it would be a blast to fly.

Here's the thing: even thought it was in a dream, it really isn't THE plane of my dreams so I wonder where it came from. I certainly haven't imagined anything like it before. Could it have been a real plane I once saw a picture of or did the mind stitch a few different ideas together to come up with something new? If planes are like faces, the latter should be impossible. So, has anyone seen this bird hiding out in the pages of an old Sport Aviation?

-Tim

Back