• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Issue with Sonerai Plans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My opinion: There's a considerable difference between imprecise plans and ones that have errors. If someone sells a product it should not be defective, and errors in callouts in plans are defects. The seller of the plans should go to great lengths to correct defects.
When a builder comes across a part/hole, etc with no listed dimension, then he at least knows he's got a mystery to solve. If there is a listed dimension, he should be able to trust it.
Now, nobody is perfect, so we have errata sheets. If an error has been identified to the seller of the plans and has been validated, that should be on the errata sheet, and ideally the changes should be made on the plane themselves if/when a new edition is issued.
Imprecise/incomplete: That's, to some degree, a judgement call.

If someone sells a product it should not be defective, and errors in callouts in plans are defects. The seller of the plans should go to great lengths to correct defects.
You’re not wrong, but I also wouldn’t blame the seller of this level of support to push their prices into the thousands for a set of plans.

. If someone sells a product it should not be defective, and errors in callouts in plans are defects. The seller of the plans should go to great lengths to correct defects.
The problem is when plans are sold through a middle man and the original supplier does not have a record of who all the plans holders are.

I don’t think much of the thread title. I got interested in EAB while in Hartford. There were Pratt & Whitney engineers who picked Sonex specifically due to the quality of the plans. The ones who need sympathy are those building from construction manuals until they get stranded by a failed kit company. Viva the plans builders, as they limit supplier risks all the time.

I recall Sonex will extend to successive builders the original support, provided the new party pays a modest fee for license transfer. Anyone have experience with that?

I recall Sonex will extend to successive builders the original support, provided the new party pays a modest fee for license transfer. Anyone have experience with that?
Yes. I bought a Sonex from the original builder, paid the transfer fee ($100), and Sonex has provided support, sold me parts, etc just as if I'd bought a kit from them. I've been very satisfied.

Never heard of the Cringely Plane Crazy design. Is this the same thing? If so, it might be fun to see the video.
WARNING: THREAD DRIFT PERPETUATED HERE!
Yes, it is! It's kind of like the movie, Borat, except nobody was informed by "Cringely" that this "documentary" was all just for entertainment, until it was broadcast (Borat was fully scripted). Cringely wants to design and build an airplane in 30 days. It has to have an engine he pulled out of a Subaru in a salvage yard, mounted behind the cockpit, and a few other half-baked ideas. He hired Hollmann to design the plane of composites. Marty left the engine in, but dismissed his other requirements as "terrible ideas," then designed the plane with a coke bottle fuselage (build that in a month?). Peter Garrison even has a cameo, calling the effort, "ambitious." The goomer gets further than I thought he would, but is too neurotic to stick with it. He ends up rooming with the Fishers in Ohio for a month while they glue together one of their wooden wonders for him. Cringely brought a VW with him that, like everything else he touches, is poop, so they lend him an engine so he can finally fly on day 30. The biggest irony of the thing is: it opens with Cringely flying a Bradley Aerobat over San Francisco Bay (they didn't show him cleaning the landing gear off her while landing). The irony is: he could have bought a kit from Bradley Aerospace, up in Chico, CA, and had her flying in 30 days. He'd still be stuck with his poopy VW engine, but I'm sure that footage would have been left on the cutting room floor.
If you ever watched the 90's documentary series, "Revenge of the Nerds," a less neurotic version of Cringely is the host of that series.

Last edited:
Back