Isolation Projects

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

Are you folks building anything cool to keep busy at home these days?

I am, here’s a pair of (slightly modified) Pietenpol Sky Scout stabilizers that are going to be the uprights for a bookshelf for my home office. They’re just made from junk in my garage, nothing airworthy here but for sure a good exercise to go through before building a wooden airplane for real.B0247F3D-3A72-4ADF-A6BF-84A9F149B3CD.jpeg

Victor Bravo

Some crossover form the "What did you do o n your project?" thread, but...:

I have been working on my little Ridge Runner project 3-4 days a week. Yesterday I went to a friend's hangar (who has the required amount of horizontal surface space) and copied the one-piece windshield/skylight from the plastic template onto the 1/16" Lexan.

Before that I had done some amateur glass work on the upper cowling (which on this airplane goes from the spinner to the windshield), and before that I had spent a while working on the lower cowling and all the !()#*%$ camloc fasteners. I hate those little bastards.

Last edited:

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I'm building some film equipment for a big order i have and also designing a large 3D printer with enough travel to build a 4' x 4' square. Was 4' x 5' but switching to a delta configuration so now the travel is actually a bit larger than mentioned above since i am basing it on how big a square I can inscribe in a circular build area. Should be big enough to print a cowl mockup if needed.

Hephaestus

I'm building some film equipment for a big order i have and also designing a large 3D printer with enough travel to build a 4' x 4' square. Was 4' x 5' but switching to a delta configuration so now the travel is actually a bit larger than mentioned above since i am basing it on how big a square I can inscribe in a circular build area. Should be big enough to print a cowl mockup if needed.
What hotend? Geeze you'd need a 3mm nozzle to make anything in a reasonable time on that :) now that I say that I want one...

addicted2climbing

Log Member
What hotend? Geeze you'd need a 3mm nozzle to make anything in a reasonable time on that :) now that I say that I want one...
Right now I am just working on the mechanics of the system. The Hot end can come later and I can modify the effector to fit whatever hotend as well as a BL touch probe. I am still working on both designs, but leaning toward the Delta since it uses 1/2 the linear motion components and can be more compact. I do plan to use 3mm filament and likely something along the lines of a volcano hotend or Hemera. Will decide as I get closer. This machine will be relegated to lower temp filaments most likely as its more for prototyping. I am modifying my Ender5 to print Nylon G as well as a few other higher temp filaments and that is first priority.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I have a full work from home schedule, and I am suddenly home-schooling two of my kids, so I am just as busy as ever! That said, I have been able to carve out some time to work on my on-again, off-again Supervee project. I have finished off (for now?) some airfoil development work that has been ongoing for a while. Wing airfoil:
fly2kads_airfoil_1.png

Tail airfoil:
fly2kads_airfoil_2.png

I have also been building a model in OpenVSP, in preparation for a go at some analysis:
fly2kads_Supervee.png
It's still all just electrons at this point, but at least their orbits are becoming a bit more organized.

Speedboat100

I have been working on my wind turbine 3rd prototype and learned to use the gas welding equipment...to make a 90 degree bend on a 12 mm steel rod.

ABEK_harjateräs.jpg

90_degrees.jpg

BJC

HBA Supporter
Lot of flying going on here, with appropriate social distancing. Five or six have launched in the last 30 minutes or so. I flew earlier, but should have waited until now; it was really bumpy, even at 2000’.

BJC

Last edited: