Quantcast

ISO 20 container

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Riggerrob

Mission: pull your airplane out of a 20 foot long container. Do a pre- flight inspection and launch within 20 minutes.

Folded dimensions are limited to 7 feet by 7 feet by 19 feet.

To keep cost within reason, you are limited to 1 seat.
Minimum power is 40 horsepower (1/2 VW or Valley Engineering Twin or a smaller Rotax).

All control runs (cables or rods) must remain connected or automatically connect themselves (ala Grumman Tracker) when unfolded.
You are allowed double or triple redundancy to confirm that structural locking pins and control runs can be verified from the cockpit.

Do you fold the nose-cone?
Do you fold the tail cone?
Do you fold the tail boom(s)?
Do you fold the wing(s)?

How will you fold the wings?
One-piece wing that pivots ala. Backyard Flier and V-22 Osprey?

2-piece wing?

3-piece wing, wing panels swinging aft, ala. Kit Fox or F-14
3-piece wing with outer wing panels folding over the fuselage ala. Ones or F4U Corsair or Dyke Delta

This is a challenge to "think outside the box" and invent new folding methods.

Aesquire

Most of the Trike type LSA's and UL's can easily meet that size and setup time.

Might take 1/2 hour depending on number of battens and practice.

For a hang glider I budget 20 minutes for setup and preflight, not counting donning the harness ( about 4 minutes, prone, 30 sec, supine )

I make that 35 minutes if I am talking to other flyers setting up, 45 minutes, and an extra preflight if I have spectator questions.

For rig from car top? 45 minutes for, say, a Cosmos Samba. Wing left mounted, just battens pulled and folded, say, Northwing Maverick/Mustang, 20 minutes easy.

I realize that doesn't answer your question, just wanted to point out that some of the "alt" aircraft are pretty quick to set up and store small.
Powered paragliders fit in a car trunk.

Personally I'd go for the US Tomahawk instead of the Russian version. I'm sure it costs more though.:)

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
See also...

Fold-up twin-boom tails? - HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

... to make light aircraft easier to build in a small workshop and/or hangar in a small space, such as using a 20' ISO shipping container for both.
www.homebuiltairplanes.com/.../19774-fold-up-twin-boom-tails.html

Compact utility concepts?

Given the interior dimensions and door size of a standard ISO shipping container, and leaving an arbitrary 6" (15 cm) when passing through the ...
www.homebuiltairplanes.com/.../14453-compact-utility-concepts.html

Thread: Brainstorming a low-powered pusher design

While I am always interested in building and hangaring in a small space like a 20' ISO shipping container, I am going to set those requirements ...
www.homebuiltairplanes.com/.../19867-brainstorming-low-powered-pusher- design.html

Very low aspect ratio planes? - HomeBuiltAirplanes.com
Jan 3, 2014 ... ... performance for an affordable, easy-to-build airplane that could be hangared in a 20' ISO shipping container and readied for flight in minutes.
www.homebuiltairplanes.com/.../6333-very-low-aspect-ratio-planes-11-print. html

Original style Rogallo Wing / fixed wing hybrid?

... kicked around ideas for aircraft which can easily be folded for transport and storage in a small space such as a 20' ISO shipping container.
www.homebuiltairplanes.com/.../6880-original-style-rogallo-wing-fixed- wing-hybrid.html

2 place, 4 stroke with removable or folding wings? - Page 2

Intermodal container - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... folds quickly and easily for daily storage in 20' shipping container is something I would really like to see. An ISO container makes for a durable, secure and affordable ...
www.homebuiltairplanes.com/.../14672-2-place-4-stroke-removable-folding- wings-2.html

Airplane in a box

That would be like a 2 place iso standard for an airplane. ..... The shipping container is just a gimmick--though it can be a very cost-efficient way ...
www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/.../12493-airplane-box.html

Riggerrob

Does anyone have pictures of the wing-pivot mechanism for the Backyard Flyer or Lacey M-10?

Andy_RR

The Van's RV12 nearly would on the level and possibly would with clever use of internal wheel ramps. I'm not 100% sure of the stabliizer width though, needs to be sub-92" and the whole aircraft doesn't meet the single-seat and cost targets, but it does demonstrate what can be done with relatively conventional design. One could imagine a single seat with V-tail to improve the containerizing some more. Since you have a container to store things, then some tip dolly wheel jigs could easily make wing installation a one-man job and 20mins pre-flight would be a breeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AnWrXKfh_XM

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Conventional folding wing...

folded fred.JPG

Mignet-type tandem (no control runs!)...

21578d1356335073-compact-utility-concepts-1787833590.jpg

Outside the box (18' span, reduce the folded ***length*** to 7')

--Side-folding single boom tail, perhaps with asymmetrically wing-mounted engine
--Up-and-over folding twin boom tail
--Plank-type flying wing with side-folding rudder
--Sunny-type boxwing tandem with folding/removable nose-cone

cheapracer

Log Member
I can tell you how annoying it is to purchase a 19'.6" plane with removable wings to find when the container arrives to send it to China that the horizontal stab is 6" too wide ...... no problem, a hacksaw was nearby. :dis:

Does anyone have pictures of the wing-pivot mechanism for the Backyard Flyer or Lacey M-10?
No but for what it's worth, both would be far too long for a container.

Riggerrob

Panther
Thanks for the link to the Panther.
Panther is a pretty airplane with plenty of performance and even Mr. Auto reply would approve of the wing-fold mechanism.
Panther is more than just a personal computer dream because the prototype has flown and the designer has many years experience supplying Corvair engine conversions to home builders.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Tony Spicer is building one. I expect it to be as well done as his RV-3 was, and before that his Sonex ( Sonex #318 ).

Can't wait to see it finished.

Riggerrob

Wing span is limited to 18 feet if we stick with a single-piece wing ... margin if we only have 40 horsepower.

Wing-span is limited to 34 feet with a 2-piece wing, assuming a 2-foot overlap and a fancy folding mechanism.

Wing-span is limited to 23 feet with a 2.5-piece wing that folds where the fuselage meets the wing roots (Bolkow Junior or Panther.)

Wing-span is limited to 50 feet with a 3-piece wing and complex folding system.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Panther
Thanks for the link to the Panther.
Panther is a pretty airplane with plenty of performance and even Mr. Auto reply would approve of the wing-fold mechanism.
Panther is more than just a personal computer dream because the prototype has flown and the designer has many years experience supplying Corvair engine conversions to home builders.
I had not read much about the Panther, it sure looks like a great little single-seater. I noted that the specs included fitting in an 18' x 7' x 7' space when folded, so it's perfect for a 20' ISO shipping container. The tandem two-seat Cougar in the works will probably be too long for the container, but a side-by-side two-seater might if the horizontal stabilizer span is kept to 7', which is doable with a long chord and/or a high lift airfoil on the stab.

Riggerrob

If you fold only one side of the horizontal tail, you can stow a 14’ horizontal tail in an ISO trailer.

Hinge half of the horizontal tail up to lay against the vertical fin. This is very easy with wire-braced steel tubing. You might get away with only dis-connecting a single strut or flying wire under the tail.
While in transit, secure the folded half of the horizontal tail to the vertical fin.

Bonus points if you install a channel - on the container floor - that steers the tail wheel to a rear corner of the trailer.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
As I had suggested on the other 20 foot container thread, the Kolb Firefly meets all of the requirements in the OP's 2014 challenge easily. So well in fact, that you can put two Fireflies into one ISO shipping container.

If you could benefit from it, the Firefly actually meets Part 103 ultralight regulations. If you don't need Part 103 you can use the heavier duty FireStar airframe slightly shortened to the Firefly wingspan and tailboom length.